Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Montague Paratrooper Shifting Troubles
First off, I'm relatively new to this whole thing so bare with me . . . I'll try to get the terminology right but please correct me if it's not.

I received my Montague Paratrooper(Paratrooper for stats) this past Tuesday 6-11-13. I rode it up and down the street a little just to get the feel of it then took it to a local bike shop for a tune-up to make sure everything was put together correctly, break calipers adjusted properly, etc.

I got the bike back and took it out for a 6 mile ride this morning but I was having issues shifting in and out of the highest gear on the chainrings to the point that it fell off at one point. I was also having issues with the chain jumping two gears while down shifting the rear cogs from the highest gear.

Are these easy things to fix or should I let the bike break in a bit and then take it back for another tune-up?

-- EDIT --
Disregard about the downshifting two at a time . . . I just went out and played around a bit and realized that it was user error.
Is the bike new or used? I would think even new or used with new cable and housing it would be to soon for a tune up due to housing compression and cable stretch. I would say the limit screws may need tweaked because of the chain coming off and I always start with checking the rear derailleur alignment when it comes to drivetrain performance. The latter requires a gauge tool to be precise. Post some pics of what you have
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
The bike is brand new. Is there anything specifically you want a picture of? The only issue at the moment is in the front. That's where the chain is coming off and it has trouble shifting.
(06-16-2013, 06:33 PM)Styles2304 Wrote:  The bike is brand new. Is there anything specifically you want a picture of? The only issue at the moment is in the front. That's where the chain is coming off and it has trouble shifting.
top looking down and straight side shot with the chain on large and on small
Is the chain falling to the outside or inside?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Ben1981

03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Surly LHT