Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the June Giveaway for a brand new Merida Matts 6.5 bicycle

Cranks on left side?
Has there ever been bikes manufactured with cranks on the left side?
That would mean a lot of other system components would need to redesigned as well. What would be the reason for wanting them on the left?
(03-07-2013, 10:38 AM)krashTest Wrote:  Has there ever been bikes manufactured with cranks on the left side?
BMX has left hand drive bottom brackets & cranks. Sheldon Brown did it, also did a dual side drive.
[Image: fiveplusfiveshelbrocosmall.jpg]
[Image: sandalssm1.jpg]
(03-07-2013, 09:53 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  That would mean a lot of other system components would need to redesigned as well. What would be the reason for wanting them on the left?

I can't imagine why someone would want them on the left or how it could be in anyway feasible.

It came up in discussion with a fellow bike 'enthusiast.' Though when they asked 'what side is the crank on again?' I was left a little dumbfounded.

Just had to ask the question I suppose.
Some BMX guys like them as they like to ride the right side down rails etc...
(03-09-2013, 02:51 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Some BMX guys like them as they like to ride the right side down rails etc...

Interesting, thanks!
many rental tandems around Songshunhu in China, have independent pedaling / coasting drives with chains and freewheels on both sides of the bike. These are single speed machines.
Nigel