Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Comparison chart and significant performance gain on particular model ???
Hi,

I will like to know if there is any comparison chart that will tell me the equivalence between SRAM and Shimano MTB components. For example

SRAM - Shimano
X00 XTR
XX XT

Also I will like to know, if you are not a competitive athlete not even an assiduous rider just a casual one. At what point you will really get a sense of performance improvement with a particular component group?. For example given that you have the same frame the difference between SRAM X7 and X9 is significant enough to justify the purchase?
The greatest performance improvement is the rider not the components. Practice .
Never Give Up!!!
I have seen a chart of that type while perusing the 'net but, dang if I can remember where. I'll just have to give you my take on it as I really don't believe that there is an 'official' one. This pertains specifically to rear drlrs but can be used across the board generally.

XX and X0 are the SRAM counterparts to Shimano XTR. The difference between the X and 0 (for 10 spd) is basically the use of a carbon fiber cage and Magnesium inner link on the XX. Cost a bit more but is less weight.

X9 is the SRAM answer to Shimano XT.
X7 meets Shimano at the SLX and Deore LX level.
X5 is comparable to Deore.
X4 is aimed at the Alivio level and X3 at the Acera level.

To answer your direct question - There is a point of diminishing returns as concerns the recreational cyclist. For example, XTR is the creme de' le creme of MTB rear drlr's but, aside from a finer finish, you basically have an XT with titanium pivot pins. TI is more expensive but lighter than steel. In other words... once you get past a certain point, even though there may be slight performance gains, you're actually paying for the additional Labor and Materials to make that part fancier and / or lighter.
With that said - Alivio and X4 are very reliable and dirt-worthy groups. While you may not notice a marked improvement in performance, bumping up to Deore or X5 will give you increased Service Life simply because there is a big jump here in materials. Bumping up to LX or X7 will probably be the ultimate. Above that (IMO), a recreational rider isn't going to notice the subtle changes.

Did anyone notice that if you turn X7 upside-down, it looks like the LX logo? Weird! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I am on the cheap end of the spectrum. From a Mechanical Design Engineer's point of view, with a primary concern of rugged reliability; one step up from the bottom is the sweat spot. Beyond that, you are paying for less mass; and not increased strength. Often, the higher end stuff is not as rugged and the lower-mid end stuff.
Nigel
True points of interest in some facsimile of opinions. Having restored, reconditioned, etc with many low end bikes they last just as long as the $4000.00 range bikes. Many could use a notch or two upgrades on components (talking the REAL CRAP ones) do have a few with wonderful strength on the frames. Some of the older low end bikes whips the snot out of the newer ones of today. For example my 80's Schwinn Traveler 12spd vs. Schwinn Varsity of today would be an interesting race! Reason old one is made of Chromoly tubing, light metal of that time period. Newer one I think a very thin aluminum frame. I did the math and my bike was lighter by a pound (ok I was being a weight weiner for a minute lol). Put em on some rugged roads we will see which one falls apart first Wink .
Now from the other end as far as having all Deore LX components on my GT I can say they work awesome, Smooth shifting, reliable braking (rear brake is not Shimano), just a real nice experience. The components are worth more then the frame is lol. Are they necessary, no! Was it a want, yes. Anyone could take a bike and build it with lower end components and do just as good as the guy with that 4000 bike mentioned earlier.

Yeah Rob it does, guess it is a Nemesis thing??
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-10-2012, 12:07 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  I am on the cheap end of the spectrum. From a Mechanical Design Engineer's point of view, with a primary concern of rugged reliability; one step up from the bottom is the sweat spot. Beyond that, you are paying for less mass; and not increased strength. Often, the higher end stuff is not as rugged and the lower-mid end stuff.

Yep 10-4 to that my mid level components never gave me any problems. AS has been pointed out most of the bells and whistles are exotic materials and lighter units. They are pretty . :-)
Never Give Up!!!
Robar thanks that info gave me a very good idea.

Nfmisso got you point, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-31-2015, 06:29 AM
Last Post: dude

05-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Bill

06-14-2010, 06:49 AM