Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chocolate Milk
Been seeing this all over the internet lately, apperantly the best recovery drink to have after exercise is chocolate milk.

Just wondered what you guys think, do you buy into this or do you have your own recommendations?
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
Just plain milk is probably even better - no sugar.

Refined sugar is "dead" calories, it provides energy, but no nutrition. In addition, refined sugar is released very quickly into the system which causes an initial "lift", but because the body over reacts, it releases too much insulin to use the sugar which can then cause a "crash", where after the initial surge, you end up with blood sugar lower than you started.

Wherever possible I eat sugar free foods and never add it to food. It's actually quite difficult to avoid refined sugar all together, because it's cheap, food producers like to put that rubbish in pretty much everything. Cereals for example, look in the ingredients and you'll find it's in pretty much every box of cereals available, Shredded Wheat and some brands of "no added sugar or salt" meuseli are pretty much the only things that don't have it.
(10-03-2012, 08:17 AM)surreypete Wrote:  Been seeing this all over the internet lately, apperantly the best recovery drink to have after exercise is chocolate milk.

Just wondered what you guys think, do you buy into this or do you have your own recommendations?

I have been drinking it for awhile now. I enjoy it. As with anything, moderation is the key. I have an 8 oz. container or organic.
Fill a Pepto Bismol bottle with Strawberry NesQuik and gulp that down post-ride. You will get some Serious looks. Heheee! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Red Bull recovers me good.:-)
Never Give Up!!!