Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Dealing with Blowouts
I had the misfortune a few weeks ago of having a blowout in the tire of my mountain bike. I was able to patch the tube and luckily the tire hadn't disintegrated but there was a half inch hole in the tire. I pumped the tube to half the recommended pressure and limped home, hoping the tube which was slightly protruding didn't rupture again.
My question is what is the best way of dealing with this situation if it occurs? I was thinking of bringing a section of old tube with me, doubling it over a few times and inserting it between the tube and tire to protect the tube if I ever get a blowout again. (I have replaced both tires, so hopefully no more blowouts in the near future!)
Park Tool makes tire boots that come in a 3 pack for about $4. Also, paper money will work if the tear isn't too large. I also know of people that carry a folded-up piece of mylar envelope (the kind that you can't tear).
Either way, it's only a temporary fix to get you home. Any damaged tire should re replaced ASAP.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Duct Tape. Like tabasco, I use that **** for everything. I keep a piece about 12" long that I roll up after ripping it of the roll in my underseat bag.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

Aluminum foil works really good as a boot and will get you home with no problems. I keep a 10" piece, folded to fit my saddle bag, with me but so far have not needed it. Get a new tire before riding again.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Ok, thanks everyone for the ideas! I have new tires now so hopefully I won't have any blowouts unless I hit any more sharp stuff on trails.
You can also cut a rectangle out of the sidewall of an old tyre and keep it with your puncture repair kit. In the event of a tear in the tyre you can glue it to the inside of the torn tyre over the tear to get you home.
(05-26-2012, 10:31 AM)Eugbug Wrote:  I had the misfortune a few weeks ago of having a blowout in the tire of my mountain bike. I was able to patch the tube and luckily the tire hadn't disintegrated but there was a half inch hole in the tire. I pumped the tube to half the recommended pressure and limped home, hoping the tube which was slightly protruding didn't rupture again.
My question is what is the best way of dealing with this situation if it occurs? I was thinking of bringing a section of old tube with me, doubling it over a few times and inserting it between the tube and tire to protect the tube if I ever get a blowout again. (I have replaced both tires, so hopefully no more blowouts in the near future!)

Temp fix is use a folded over piece of an old dollar bill