Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the May Giveaway for DERUIZ LAVA e-bike worth $1699

Speed difference between derailleur and shifters
I have a 10 speed cassette, a 10 speed shifters and a 9 speed derailleur. All are campagnolo centaur. I didnt even realize that i had a difference in speeds until my chain broke the other day and i took a closer look (Bought a complete bike off of classifieds last year). My question is: do I need to make sure that derailleur matches that speeds of the shifter of it doesnt really matter? The reason why I ask is when i shift, it seems that the derailleur is making 10 shifts, not 9.

Thank you in advance
Doesn't make a difference, since it's the shifter who's giving you 10 speed... You rear derailleur only follow the cable position that the shifter is onto...
Yeah, I figured as much: was just wondering why there is speed marking on the derailleur at all then? I thought that maybe "9 speed" on the derailleur meant "up to 9 speed", and since I had a 10 sp shifter/cassette, thoguth it may be a bit of an issue. Thank you anyways!
Most 9spd derailers can do 10 gears. like there are 5,6,7 deraillers that say they only do one speed.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...