Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Avid ultimate bleed problem
Hi all newbie here,

I am having an issue with bleeding my rear brake, I have followed the instructions but I am having a problem. I am at the stage of bleeding the rear caliper, I am attaching the rear and front syringes but when I try and push the rear syringe down it's solid?. No fluid will run to the lever syringe.

To mention I have shortened the hose and everything appeared to go ok?.

Any help would be grateful.

cheers
Tez
Hi Tez. Is this the instruction manual that you are following?
http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5015-029-000_hydraulic_disc_brake_bleed_and_hose_length_adjustment_rev_a.pdf

If so - forget it. You cut the hose and introduced a lot of air into the system which is very bad. As good as the SRAM tech docs are, they do leave out a lot of info since the IT guys, not the mechanics, post it on the site. See if you can dig around in there and find a 'Dealer Services' tab. That gets more involved. The SRAM (Avid) site is huge and not easy to navigate. The info IS there.

I trust that you replaced all of the Olives and Barb fittings? That is a Must. You are not simply "bleeding the brakes" now. As in new fluid or a top-off. You got some serious air in the system. It has to come out!
The 2 Syringe method only works when we are adding. If you have a week to wait for all of the bubbles to migrate up into the Master Cylinder at the lever - great! Otherwise, get a bunch of paper towels and treat it as if it had NO fluid in it. Flushing (purging) the system is a job best done by two people and is messy.

Edit: You may also have to pull the lever in order for the valve to open at the Master Cylinder, letting fluid in. Always bleed upwards unless otherwise instructed. I'll try to find more specifics on the Ults. There are too many systems out there for me to keep it all in my head.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(11-07-2011, 06:49 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Tez. Is this the instruction manual that you are following?
http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5015-029-000_hydraulic_disc_brake_bleed_and_hose_length_adjustment_rev_a.pdf

If so - forget it. You cut the hose and introduced a lot of air into the system which is very bad. As good as the SRAM tech docs are, they do leave out a lot of info since the IT guys, not the mechanics, post it on the site. See if you can dig around in there and find a 'Dealer Services' tab. That gets more involved. The SRAM (Avid) site is huge and not easy to navigate. The info IS there.

I trust that you replaced all of the Olives and Barb fittings? That is a Must. You are not simply "bleeding the brakes" now. As in new fluid or a top-off. You got some serious air in the system. It has to come out!
The 2 Syringe method only works when we are adding. If you have a week to wait for all of the bubbles to migrate up into the Master Cylinder at the lever - great! Otherwise, get a bunch of paper towels and treat it as if it had NO fluid in it. Flushing (purging) the system is a job best done by two people and is messy.

Rob

Hi Rob thanks for the reply,

I have installed a new barb and olive, how easy is it to purge and refill the system?.

Thanks
Tez
Wait a minute... Avid Ultimates are linear-pull brakes.
What does that mean....?
Avid Ultimates are Linear (V Brake) Pull, not Disc. In your title you say "ultimate". What model do you actually have?
(11-08-2011, 06:05 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Avid Ultimates are Linear (V Brake) Pull, not Disc. In your title you say "ultimate". What model do you actually have?

Sorry I should have been more accurate, they are Avid juicy 7 ultimates. They are hydraulic disc brake. I have now sent it to my local bike shop so hopefully everything will be ok.

Possibly Related Threads...