Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the November Giveaway for a Single Speed Cruiser bike from Custom Villy

No quick release for rear wheel
I have a flat on my rear tire on a schwinn varsity. There isn't a quick release on the rear wheel. What is the easiest way to remove the wheel and replace it after I replace the tube? Thanks.
Hi Larry. You'll need a 15 mm wrench, most likely. The method of Removal and Install are the same as for a QR wheel except that you probably have horizontal dropouts. On reinstalling, make sure that the axle is all the way rearward on the drive side and snug the nut down. Center the wheel as best as you can between the chainstays at the front and snug the left nut. Now loosen the right nut again and ensure that the axle is All The Way Back. Tighten. Loosen the left nut, center wheel again and tighten.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Rob,
Hi. Really appreciate the help. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Should be able to handle it, even with my ten thumbs.

Thanks,

Larry
Rob,
Hi. Really appreciate the help. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Should be able to handle it, even with my ten thumbs.

Thanks,

Larry

Possibly Related Threads...