Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the July Giveaway for a brand new 26" Thruster® Street Style BMX Cruiser Bicycle

New product launch: WIN an innovative aeroe Spider Rear Rack

Rear Derailleur Re-Installation Problems
Hello All,
I have an old ten speed and needed to change the tubes in the both front and rear tires. My Inexperience with taking off the rear tire led me to take off the rear derailleur as well. I thought I remembered how it was installed but when putting it back I had some trouble. I was able to reinstall it but something is just not right. I've looked at pictures of other old 10 speeds with similar looking derailleurs and mine looks different from theirs. The chain is hanging very low and I am not sure if I have re-stalled the derailleur properly. Please see the pictures to have a better idea of what I am talking about. If you need a different angle please let me know and I will take more pictures. Thank you for your help.

You have the chain right but somehow you've lost the "spring" out off the cage.<br />
The cage ( the part that holds the 2 small cogs) should be trying to turn clockwise.<br />
Remove the cable (wire) and outer, undo the derailleur from the wheel nut.<br />
Now see if the parallelagram bit it will rotate through 360 degrees - clockwise - and then fasten back in place. It may even take 2 full turns ??.<br />
If not you will have to investigate to reinstate the rotational spring into the cage.
Hope this helps and is not too confusing?

Ride hard or ride home alone!
I wrote something the other day but I don't see it posted here. Just want to say that I had everything fixed within 15 minutes of reading this. It took one turn to get it back into place. Thank you very much and you saved me a few bucks and lots of frustration. Happy Cycling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-31-2019, 07:14 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

06-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: jacke

05-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Last Post: DaveM