Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Which internal hub to choose?
Hi to all.

I currently have an 8sp nexus hub w/ coaster brake but have been unsatisfied with the coaster brake. I like to "back-pedal" and reset my footing but coaster brakes prevent this.

Here is my question, does anyone know of an internal hub that has a brake system that allows back pedaling?

I know that "disc or V brake will be suggested but this option(s) are not possible. My bike does not have fittings for V-brake or disc but I did see an advertisement for a shimano braking system that looked sort of like a disc brake but worked more like a coaster brake (w/ handbrake) and allowed reverse pedaling.

So here's what I'm looking for: An internal hub that allows reverse pedaling and braking. I cannot use v (friction) or disc brakes (unless someone knows a cool attachment for the disc caliper.

I considered welding disc attachments to the frame but thats a good way to ruin a $600 bike.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks...............Tom
Maysville KY
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”
Airplane (1980) – Rex Kramer (Robert Stack)

Hey Tom. Do a search for the Nexus Inter-8 and look for the one for use with Roller Brakes. I can't think of the model right now... SG-8-something.
Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I came across this brake system which is compatible with certain Nexus hubs. I can find little information about this set up but I hope someone here can confirm the following:

Is this a lever operated brake system (hand brake)?

Will it allow the pedals to "reverse rotate" (versus the coaster brake which used the opposite rotation for the braking action).

I am unfamiliar with some bike component terms but want to be sure a "roller brake" is one that does not prevent the pedals from rotating in reverse. I do have a great working front disc brake so regardless of reports that roller brakes are not as effective, it would do what I need (assist the front in quick stops).

Any advice and knowledge is appreciated.
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”
Airplane (1980) – Rex Kramer (Robert Stack)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Stipin

04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Last Post: cyclerUK