Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike too small?
Hi guys

Ive seen a nice road bike for sale and it's a 54cm frame.
I'm 6'1" tall, would this be ok for me?

Any advice on possible adjustments that could be made appreciated, as I'm very interested in this particular one.

Regards, Phil
Too small. I'm 5'7" and ride a 54.
Technically you could put a extra long seatpost and stem on it to approximate the right size, but that doesn't really work well either.

One big caveat though. If the bike has a sloping top tube you need to know if the actual measurement of the seat tube is 54 or if it is the "equivalent" of a 54.

Frame sizing (like tire sizing) on bikes is notoriously idiotic. You have to know what is being measured exactly because everyone does it differently.

Read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html
I might be totally wrong, but in my opinion, everyone is shaped differently. 2 people the same height may have different length legs, so this throws another curve in the mix. without actually sitting on the bike, its hard to tell if it fits. if i am wrong, someone please correct me before the op takes my advice. i just thought it was something else to concider. on the other hand, lots of people are riding the wrong size bike.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Ye thats true if the shoe fits and all that. I tend to ride bikes that are said to be too big for me, but I like to stretch out on a bike and not ride like grasshopper.
In the 70-80 Panasonic Pioneered semi custom bikes so the frames could accommodate different riders. Some with long torsos but short legs, Long arms but short torsos etc. These were measured at the dealer who than ordered the bike for you. Some excellent bikes were made.

However a 54 cm bike for a 6'1 rider is very small. IMO. Than again look at the BMX riders on their tiny bikes.:-))
Never Give Up!!!
ok cheers for all advice. Think I'll just go along and have a look at it, sit on it etc, then I can decide Smile
wrench science has a good online sizing system for free; but you get junk e-mail from them there after.....

I am 5'11" with a 32" trouser inseam; and like 57-59cm for road bike frame size.
Nigel