Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the November Giveaway for a Single Speed Cruiser bike from Custom Villy

Help replacing rear hub
Ok so Im a bike noobie and Im trying to figure out what parts I need to replace the rear cassette. I just bought a schwinn midmoor and I noticed today that the rear cassette is bent and when I shift gears it skips. I would like to do the repair myself to be on the cheap side. Is their certain parts you guys would recommend? Thanks

I just did a quick specifications search and it says its a QR alloy 32H
what you are saying does not make a great deal of sense; cassette do not generally get bent. You need to post pictures, but I would guess that your derailleur may need adjustment, and your chain lubricated.

replacing the rear hub is about $50- plus around $1 per spoke, and about $100- labor for a low end up. Many places will refuse to re-use your old rim - all will refuse to re-use your old spokes. Cassettes run $15- and up - way up.
Nigel
(03-26-2011, 03:20 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  what you are saying does not make a great deal of sense; cassette do not generally get bent. You need to post pictures, but I would guess that your derailleur may need adjustment, and your chain lubricated.

replacing the rear hub is about $50- plus around $1 per spoke, and about $100- labor for a low end up. Many places will refuse to re-use your old rim - all will refuse to re-use your old spokes. Cassettes run $15- and up - way up.

its def not the derailer. Some of the teeth are missing on the cassette.
OK. The Midmoor comes with a freewheel, not a cassette....

You need a tool like this to get it off:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Freewheel-Remover-Freewheels/dp/B001B6RGXG/

And then a freewheel like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tourney-7Spd-14-28T-Freewheel/dp/B003B8JYPU/
Nigel
Are you sure that the Missing Teeth are actually "missing"? If the missing teeth are 2 or 3 per ring... hint. Made that way.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...