Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

New Bike Rear Noise
I purchased a Huffy 26" Mens Nel Lusso a little over a week ago. I haven't been on a bike in over 20 years. It has been used for cruising to the store, post office and around the neighborhood all on road.
I have noticed the rear end making a noise, it almost sounds like the tire rubbing against something but its not. The sound is coming from the rear hub assembly. Its a single gear assembly. I called Huffy and they are sending me a replacement rear end for free but i still would like to figure out what is making the noise. I took the hub assembly apart to check the grease and bearings. They are fine. While you are pedaling the bike it is fine, until you start coasting then you hear the noise really good. Now while coasting if you reverse your pedals just 1 or 2 inches the noise goes away. Any ideas would really be great. Thank you.
?? Its a Huffy. A bit harder to determine with a lower end bike. maybe wasn't assembled properly. Brake rubbing? Hub adjusted properly? best of luck...
GO RIDE...
are you SURE it had enough grease? this is a common problem on newer "lower end" bikes. nothing wrong with lower end bikes, either, so dont be offended. it gets you off the couch, right? all mine are low end too, but with proper maintenance and sensible use, they'll last.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
See Im thinking its the Brakes inside the rear end also. I did take it apart and really the only thing in there that could be doing it is the breaks. There is plenty of grease in it also. I should have the other rear end by friday and if its still doing it i can return it. (with in 30 days lol) I really dont want to because i like the color and the way it is set up. Are Schwinn bikes any better then Huffys?
Maybe schwinn is better. Depends on how ya like the bike, its set-up, its geometry, its design, and how it feels when ya ride it. brake pads set up correctly. Disc brakes? Rotors screws tight? Pads sitting correctly?
GO RIDE...
Are you 100 percent the noise is coming from the rear? Reason I asked is noises and bikes are common but a pain to pinpoint.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-17-2010, 10:12 AM)Bill Wrote:  Are you 100 percent the noise is coming from the rear? Reason I asked is noises and bikes are common but a pain to pinpoint.

Yes I'm positive. I got the new rear end yesterday from huffy and its all better now. I'm thinking factory build problem on this model. Because the only question Huffy asked was "where is the noise coming from". I told them the rear end. And just as quick she offered me a new rear end. I'm guessing they don't want to do a recall on thousands of bikes so they just send the free rear end to the people that call in with this problem.
Glad to hear it All worked out
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...