Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrade to different speed freewheel
Hey everyone,
Been reading around and I though this would be a good place to start my questions.

My project: Restoring my girlfriend's MTB. She bought used a looooong time ago and has refused to let it retire.

Description of bike:
Brand: Huffy
Speed: 15
Shifters: Falcon ??
Tire Size : 24 "
Frame Size: small
Rims: rusted and slightly warped, noticeable
chain: still good, she replaced it herself recently

"Why waste time?" you ask?: just 'cause; real reasons? to learn more about bike and how to tune,adjust, build, replace parts. I'm using her bike as practice basically.

My plan of actions:
1. Get new rims (front and back). I saw some generic 24 " rims for sale for a pretty good price but the rear was designed for 7-speed freewheel.
-Can I use the current 5-speed freewheel that's on the bike on the rims? If so what would I need to do to make it fit properly?

2. should I replace the entire shifting system? How does that usually work? I mean do manufactures sell shifters and derailleurs as a set or individual items?

3. replace the crank. I have no clue how that area works so any tips, videos, website would be much appreciated.

That's enough questions for now for me me started.
Thanks very much in advance for any tips.

[attachment=1629][attachment=1630]
Hi;

1. the rear wheels equipped for free wheels are 5, 6 and 7 speed compatible - no issues here.
2. personally, I like the Shimano Tourney (low end) derailluers; specifically the TX-51 in the rear, but given the price of the TX-71; I'd go with that on a do over. I also like the SRAM MRX twist grip shifters (for commuting).
3. See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html for conversion options.

You should probably replace the brake pads; and lubricate the cables.

While you are at it, you should probably pull apart the head set, clean it up and re-grease it.

If the bike is not ridden in mud or sand; I would also strongly suggest some "crusier" tires, much quieter and easier rolling.
Nigel
Thank you so much for the tips. I'll post the progress as I go along. Also any suggestions on cranks? You can obviously tell I'm aiming for casual equipments.
well!!! I don't want to put you off, BUT, it's going to cost a lot to do what you describe, and at the end of it, you will still have an old, cheap, small bike.( your gf must be pretty small if 24" is the right size for her)
IMO you would be far better buying a sh bike, you should get a reasonably decent bike for the cost of the upgrade.
(10-23-2010, 12:46 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  well!!! I don't want to put you off, BUT, it's going to cost a lot to do what you describe, and at the end of it, you will still have an old, cheap, small bike.( your gf must be pretty small if 24" is the right size for her)
IMO you would be far better buying a sh bike, you should get a reasonably decent bike for the cost of the upgrade.

Thanks and I totally agree with your opinion on getting a new bike instead. my gf is 5' 0" so 24" is good height for her. Yes, I've tried offering her a new bike. Also, I want to use this opportunity to tinker. My budget is $150 max so I'll work around that number. I already got a new crankset and 2 rims for $70 off CL. Even if it turns out nasty it would be a nice experience in the end Smile...stay tuned for pictures of franken-bike. Thanks again for your input.

Possibly Related Threads...