Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear wheel with sturney archer gears - help!
Hello,
I have a dawes diploma which is rather lovely but the back wheel has a slow puncture. I've got to take my back wheel off but it's not particularly straightforward because of the gears going through the back wheel - does anyone know how to do this, or can they point me in the direction of a video or some help? I'd really like to know how to do this myself rather than pay over the odds at a bike shop!
Thanks very much,
Helen.
Hi Helen;

You will need a wrench to fit the bolts on the outside of the frame.

Two pair of needle nose pliers (maybe).

Let the rear brake cable become as slack as possible. IF you have a rear coaster brake, there is a bracket on the left side that you will have to remove a bolt from.

Turn the bike upside down so it rests on the saddle and handle bars.

First disconnect the shifter cable coming out of the right side of the hub. Follow the tiny chain like mechanism up from the center of the right side of the hub, to where it joins the cable going to the shifter. There will be a screw on the end of tiny chain, with a collar threaded over it from the cable. Un do this.

Next, loosen the nuts on the outside of the bike frame that hold the wheel on. Slide the wheel forward and out of the frame. Use a rag or similar to grab on to the chain, and maneuver it out of the way.
Nigel
If it's a slow one, try injecting puncture sealant such as Slime or Dr. Sludge into the tube, check for and remove any penetrating objects first.

This will save having to remove the wheel and will offer future protection also.

Possibly Related Threads...