Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hi from Arkansas, USA
I have lurked here at BT for a few months now and I like the feel of this place! Much more 'civilized' than some other forums that I visit. Decided tonight to join in... if you'll have me.

I'm 45 and ride both road and mtn- don't ask for percentages- I just ride. I have been managing/wrenching in bike shops in north-central Arkansas since 1993. Between '02 and '09, I had a 'real' job that distracted me and caused me to miss much of the tech advances that occurred so suddenly. I'm quickly catching up but, from time to time, I may need some assistance from you good people. In return, I hope to be able to offer tips/ history/ etc on some old-school stuff! I know the 'truth' behind why parts anodized 3-D Violet was so hot. ;-)

I love finding old bikes that are still in OEM spec and making everything (mechanical) new again. I'm very well-versed in making old Shimano index shifters, that most LBS's suggest be scrapped, work like new. I love the smell of Clean Streak and Jalapeno-stuffed Olives. Greg Herbold is my fave movie star. I like to fish and build rods. I play guitar, bass, harmonica and kazoo.

Mind if I join you around the fire?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Hi there and welcome, like you I am new here with a lot to learn!
welcome to the campfire! sounds like we can learn a lot from you.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Looking forward to your input and experience. Welcome.
Rob, Welcome. We have a section where you can post some pictures of your bikes. Show off a little bit. So what is your method of finding old bikes? Friends garages? Craigslist? Yardsales? I am a yard saler myself, every Sat. Morning. Welcome again.
All - thanks for the welcome!

Jordan, I find them in a lot of places but, working at a LBS, they just seem to fall into my hands. Many are trade-ins, others are just drop-offs because someone wants it out of the garage. People are strange (present company excluded). When I figure out how to upload pics, I have a crazy restoration story.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Hi Rob. I'm not far from you in Kansas City. I just saw your post. I haven't logged in for a while. My security suite just upgraded itself and now have to look up my password and ID every time I log in - no fun that way.

We can always use people with mechanical experience. I will be posting a ground-up refurb soon, well, maybe in a few months. Paint and all. Smile

Later,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!