Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Shimano 105 8 sp shifter
My shifter is worn and only clicks/changes intermittently. I'd like to repair it or replace it however I'm having difficulty sourcing one. Can I use any other shifter or is it practical to upgrade to 9 speed. The bike is a Giant TCR
Have you tried adjusting with the information in the tutorial?
yes thanks, I think something is broken or very worn inside the shifter
I recently upgraded my Trek 2120 to some 105 STI's. SRAM makes a fairly economical 9 speed cassette (around $30) and you will need a 9 speed chain as well.

The spacing is a little different on an 8 to a 9 as there is less space between each sprocket. I have heard from people who made it work, but it will not shift very smoothly. And, considering your cassette is going to have to be replaced eventually, it may not be a bad move. I think all your other components should work fine.

I have also heard that there are people out there that know how to overhaul and repair STI shifters as well. Calling around at the LBS is something you should try.
Thanks Buzz, I've also been advised that Shimano 2200 8SP or Tiagra 9sp will do the job. My first choice is to try to salvage or refurbish the 105s if possible. I live on an island (I cycle the 22km of bitumen with monotonous regularity) and don't have a LBS however I'll try the nearest mainland ones by phone today.
My 2 pennies worth is that this Shimano 7/8/9 speed incompatibility is a sales pitch they are compatible and I have mixed and matched and never noticed any degradation in performance. I have heard that the 10 speed rear stuff isn't compatible with 7/8/9 but haven't tried. All you need to do is make sure that the cassette has the same number of sprockets as the indexes on the shifter.

I am not sure how economical it would be to refurbish a shifter as I am pretty sure you can't buy individual mechanical components new and how long will the things last anyway.

If the chain and rear sprocket are in good condition just buy new 8 speed shifters BTW I think the 2200 are now 2300's. You can upgrade to Tiagra shifters with 9 speed cassette and 7/8/9 Speed chain, no need to change RD or FD.
Hi Eric,
Shimano ST-2303 should still be available for Triple. The ST-R500 is compatible with Double or Triple but are getting scarce.
If you would like to attempt a fix, I can try to walk you through it if you can give me a model number (probably molded into the body under your hoods).
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Hi JonathanSG I'll probably end up acting on your advice however I see that RobAR has offered some assistance and I'll make an attempt to fix it first.
Thanks
(09-25-2010, 08:21 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Eric,
Shimano ST-2303 should still be available for Triple. The ST-R500 is compatible with Double or Triple but are getting scarce.
If you would like to attempt a fix, I can try to walk you through it if you can give me a model number (probably molded into the body under your hoods).

Hi RobAR
the shifter has "SHIMANO 10S5" stamped on it together with a large "R" which I guess means Right.
I'd appreciated any help you can give me. If it doesn't work out or it can't be repaired/fixed then I'll replace it. with 2300 or similar.
thanks
Your 105 8 speed shifter is neither worn out or unrepairable. I can repair it and I can do it cheaper than you can replace it. Check out the pictures I have posted on my Facebook group http://tinyurl.com/stirepair or of the two below of a shifter sent to me in pieces and put back together again. Almost all of the so called facts out there about these shifters are wrong. They almost never wear out unless you shoot them full of WD-40 and don't relube them properly with grease. Triflow or whatever is not grease and drains out the bottom just like the oil runs into the oil pan on your car. You can buy replacement mechanisms for these, I have some. Why doesn't your bike shop sell them? You would have to ask them, but I say follow the $. The shops make more $ selling you upgrades. As someone else mentioned as long as your shifters and cassettes are the same brand and the same indexing they will work together. You bike shop is worried about getting sued, not saving you money when they tell you to upgrade all the drivetrain parts. Shimano used to sell parts for these in Europe, but not here. I have quite an assortment.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Eric, sorry for the late reply. I have been putting in a lot of hours with pre-season orders coming in. eeforme sounds legit and I might not hesitate to contact him. If you still feel up to tackling it yourself - we can do - might take a while. But I am not looking for what is embossed on the levers. I need the exact model, which will be molded or stamped into a main body part and probably hidden. As I said, check under the hoods. Peel back the rubber 'hood' and look closely. It will be very small and you may need a flashlight to find it. Current 105 stuff will begin with an ST prefix.
Hi Rob, thanks for reply. No worries about time. If I have to send it by mail I'll be without it for a while. I have found another stamp which is a "VE" inside a circle. The left STI has "UK" stamped on it. There may be a tiny stamp near the large ones however, if there is, it is VERY light and illegible.

The problem is that I have to move the little lever 2, 3 or even as much as 7 times to the left before it "clicks" and changes to a smaller gear.

Not so bad when using the bigger lever. Sometimes it "clicks" and changes to a bigger gear first time and sometimes after 1 or 2 lever movements to the left.
(09-29-2010, 11:49 PM)Eric Coull Wrote:  The left STI has "UK" stamped on it. There may be a tiny stamp near the large ones however, if there is, it is VERY light and illegible.

Look at the bottom picture I posted and you can see the part number on the bracket just to the right of the bar clamp. The bracket is the part that attaches to your bars. The number is always on the outside under the hood. Sometimes it is covered with bar tape when installed, but they all have one.
(09-28-2010, 03:32 PM)eeforme Wrote:  Your 105 8 speed shifter is neither worn out or unrepairable.

Is a Left Shifter from the Shimano RX100 group set repairable. Mine doesn't shift any more.
(09-30-2010, 09:18 PM)bhoyt Wrote:  Is a Left Shifter from the Shimano RX100 group set repairable. Mine doesn't shift any more.

Absolutely repairable. Contrary to popular opinion a RX100 left side has more in common with the 600 Ultegra level than the 105. Shimano priced them below the 105 group, but they were better made. IMO besides the DA 8 speed the RX100 are the best of the rest.
(09-30-2010, 08:19 AM)eeforme Wrote:  
(09-29-2010, 11:49 PM)Eric Coull Wrote:  The left STI has "UK" stamped on it. There may be a tiny stamp near the large ones however, if there is, it is VERY light and illegible.

Look at the bottom picture I posted and you can see the part number on the bracket just to the right of the bar clamp. The bracket is the part that attaches to your bars. The number is always on the outside under the hood. Sometimes it is covered with bar tape when installed, but they all have one.

I've tried everything I can think of but I can't find the picture. The only stamp I can see in the location you described is the ST-1055 or ST-10S5 that I mentioned earlier.
Quote:I've tried everything I can think of but I can't find the picture. The only stamp I can see in the location you described is the ST-1055 or ST-10S5 that I mentioned earlier.

That is the part number. ST-1055 is an 8 speed 105 shifter.
(10-07-2010, 07:32 PM)eeforme Wrote:  
Quote:I've tried everything I can think of but I can't find the picture. The only stamp I can see in the location you described is the ST-1055 or ST-10S5 that I mentioned earlier.

That is the part number. ST-1055 is an 8 speed 105 shifter.

OK. Will you be able to help me.
Quote:
(10-07-2010, 07:48 PM)Eric Coull Wrote:  That is the part number. ST-1055 is an 8 speed 105 shifter.

OK. Will you be able to help me.
I can help you. I sent you a direct message. Contact info is there.
Hi Eric. Sorry I am late. Did you get it fixed, yet? If not... roll up your sleeves.

Possibly Related Threads...