Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1965 Armstrong 3spd
Hello all here is the 1965 Armstrong 3spd Sturmey Archer Girl's bike I have been wanting to restore. Before Pictures now the After are coming.
Excuse the shop mess that's what cardboard is for Wink .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Wow, '65 that is pretty old. Have you gotten it ridable yet?
To your answer Jordan... Yes it is ready to ride, I test rode last week. Have not gotten any pictures yet because I have been busy with a few jobs and trying to finish the Brittany FreeSpirit.

THIS MAKES MY 1000th Post!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ok I am now done with this one and well I am kind of disappointed with the paint job. The wheels did not turn out well. There is always one of those that just do not turn out very well. One of the best parts about it was replacing the bottom bracket assembly parts. The cottered crank was a cool experience and replacing the 11 loose bearings on each side. (sigh)
Hi Bill, wow! great restoration project you've taken on there. I really like the pared down old skool look the bike has. They really knew how to build em to last in those times didn't they? I think you've done a cracking job judging from the photos you've posted. Nice work dude!
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
Thank you very much! I bought it from a big shop that sells nothing but antiques. My one daughter likes to ride it more then a newer BMX she has lol. It has the coaster brake with 3spd hub. Also while I think about the bearings in the headset had to be put in one at a time!!! That had some fun Big Grin . I did find that Armstrong bikes like this one is Rare in the States! Although considered low end they did a pretty good job back then! This one was well ok and didnt turn out like I wanted but yea it was a pretty cool and satisfying experience!
Ahh yes the classic Sturmey-Archer coaster brake and 3 spd hub. What a design classic that is. Shame they stopped producing them....or did they........?

In fact they've recently started selling them again, were you aware of that Bill?

Check out this link or Google for more info: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/7/id/55
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
You know I wander if the one I have is a kick shift as well? I really never found schematics on the one I have currently.
If you know a link that may say please lemme know.
The one you have takes a shifter cable and lever mounted on the handlebars, the hole in the rear axle drive side gives that away. A threaded nut that attaches to the shifter cable goes in there. You can buy those separately and the design hasn't changed since way back when. I have an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub without the coaster brake I took off of the bike I restored for my wife. She wanted one with the coaster brake so I bought a new hub and shifter. They really aren't that bad to hook up properly.
You know I kinda feel like a dunce, I should've known that lol. Guess having too many bikes on the mind makes one loose track without notes lol. Tongue . Yes I do see what you are talking about and thank you for straightening me out! hahaha. If you are wandering why I am laughing it is because it's early morning here and have my coffee.
(07-15-2010, 09:08 AM)Bill Wrote:  Ok I am now done with this one and well I am kind of disappointed with the paint job. The wheels did not turn out well. There is always one of those that just do not turn out very well. One of the best parts about it was replacing the bottom bracket assembly parts. The cottered crank was a cool experience and replacing the 11 loose bearings on each side. (sigh)

Bill, You have restored a rare make bike in a classic way. normally we don't come across armstrong. Just one question? Why you did not do it in similar metallic old paint it shows in your old pics. The new paint is bright but lacks shine & glimpses. Is it already road worthy?
Cyclostyle in style
(04-15-2011, 07:37 AM)atulkunte69 Wrote:  
(07-15-2010, 09:08 AM)Bill Wrote:  Ok I am now done with this one and well I am kind of disappointed with the paint job. The wheels did not turn out well. There is always one of those that just do not turn out very well. One of the best parts about it was replacing the bottom bracket assembly parts. The cottered crank was a cool experience and replacing the 11 loose bearings on each side. (sigh)

Bill, You have restored a rare make bike in a classic way. normally we don't come across armstrong. Just one question? Why you did not do it in similar metallic old paint it shows in your old pics. The new paint is bright but lacks shine & glimpses. Is it already road worthy?

I could not locate the exact paint it was! The older paint contained lead and I had to be very careful when I removed it. So I went with something older newer style. Trust me I did research the older tone of blue and came up with dead ends and this about the only place that has any information on this model of bike. As far as road worthy yes, my daughter loves riding it over her BMX at times because of the, "cool looking bell and color". I have rode this bike a couple times and I am happy with all the functioning of everything. Whats weird is that it is very light. Last year I was going to sell it in a yard sale but it almost broke her heart so I designated it as one of her ride along bikes lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-29-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Criminal

01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Bill