Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Front derailleur cable tension
hi friends
last week i dismantled my bike for cleaning , but after fitting everything i am not being able to fixing the front derailleur .the derailleur height it same as before . after tightening the cable in the smallest ring when i try to shift it for higher ring and come back for lowest ring the cable again gets loose .i changed the the setting of the H and L limit screw so i am in a complete mess up situation .some times the cable tension is in such a situation that it will skip the middle ring and some time it will move between middle and third higher ring .need help for correct procedure
The way I have done it before I put the chain on the small chain ring/front ring and have the chain on the large ring/cassette on the back let all slack out of your cable then go back and pull the slack out of it. Then go back and set up your H and L limit screw. Then you may have to go back and reset your cable again. I know I could get it set pretty easy here but me trying to tell you how thats another story lol but I hope I gave you a little help if not there will be lots more on here that can tell you how to do it a better way. Its not that hard to do don't worry you will get it set in no time.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Anyhow i managed to keep the tension the for the front derailleur cable. now it i s so hard that it does not come up to the higher ring. i don't want to take another chance so i am trying to adjust both limit screw. hope i will hear from you again
From the photo and a bit difficult to tell but the cable doesn't look right.
Have you got it on the right side of the clamp screw.
There is usually a slot that the cable fits into.
If it is on the wrong side then that would make it very hard to shift the derailleur.
Only guessing mind!!
Ride hard or ride home alone!

Possibly Related Threads...