Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Chain replacement
Hi all, newbie here.

I've recently started riding an old mountain bike I was given by my dad. I used to do alot of maintenance on BMX's when I was younger, but having a few problems with this bike. There is a stiff link on the chain, I was gonna just replace it cos i think it's quite old, but on the old BMX's there was a link/clip setup that just had to be prized off to take the chain apart. I've had a look and can't see anything similar on this, do I need to get a chain tool for modern chains?

cheers
Maybe. There are quick connect links (covered by one of Alex' great tutorials). Unless you have one on your chain you'll have to get a chain tool. If you just want to replace the chain, you can (probably) cut the old one and get one with a quick connector (SRAM, KCM, whatever). However you have to shorten the chain to the correct length, for that you'll need a chain tool anyway...
(03-30-2010, 12:51 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Maybe. There are quick connect links (covered by one of Alex' great tutorials). Unless you have one on your chain you'll have to get a chain tool. If you just want to replace the chain, you can (probably) cut the old one and get one with a quick connector (SRAM, KCM, whatever). However you have to shorten the chain to the correct length, for that you'll need a chain tool anyway...

cheers joe. just watched one of the tutorials and gonna have a go at loosening the stiff links 1st.
Fixed it today, got a chain tool and just pushed the stiff pins in and out a few times, which did the trick. cheers for the help
Good to hear another success story. Ye lots of good info here.

Be nice if members posted location. Its a kick too see how far reaching this list is.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-18-2020, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Jesper

03-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF

09-10-2010, 09:58 AM