Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fausto Coppi Gilco frameset
I just scored on my first "GILCO" frame from a friend in Europe. It is an '80s Coppi brand frame design, repainted with fully chromed fork that needs a little TLC. I have never ridden one before and I am curious as to other's opinion of that tubeset. I am happy to not have a "run of the mill" Colnago Master frame; something a little different always appeals to me more even if not the more popular (and thus more expensive) choice. All main tubes are "GILCO". I have not received shipment of it, but I am anxious to give it a ride. My size 51.5 cm, and price: $300 with shipping included. This will be a full 'restore' in the end due to its present repaint (red) and condition; no rust or other damage. I will forego decals because I just do not care and my paint scheme for it would be ruined by decals in my opinion; let the next owner do it that justice. I do not care if anyone knows what I am riding at this point when out on the road and trails.

Hopefully I will be able to post photos of it shortly upon arrival.

I do expect to spend a little more time here after a couple months break and with my time at work being reduced a bit (read as: reduced stress!).

Thank you for any insight you folks have regarding these types of frames.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I would still install decals if you can get them. Why not? I have looked at your other builds and you seem to favor an original look excepting some period components.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(02-18-2021, 01:27 PM)Criminal Wrote:  I would still install decals if you can get them. Why not? I have looked at your other builds and you seem to favor an original look excepting some period components.

Let me answer your question:

First, I have no reference as to what the decals for this frame look like (does anyone know?). It would appear to be a fairly rare frame as I have yet to see another example, thus I don't know what the original decals looked like. There is one on eBay that has been also been repainted, so again not a reference as to OE decals.
Second, out of all the decal sets I have seen available (black, blue, yellow, green, white), none would really compliment my expected paint scheme (orange and black); repaint is red. I may add a headbadge decal ($10) or metal badge plate ($70!, probably not).
Third, due to the "star" shaped tubing, decals do not look very good close up due to having to conform to the odd tubing shape.
Fourth, the paint job will be expensive enough since it will be custom to the frame tubing in order to accent the tube indentations.
Fifth, I am putting some pantograghed components on it. I already have a seatpost ($50, not bad), and looking at a stem ($110 steep!, probably not getting it).
Sixth, I am trying to keep this build under $1250; it adds up quick. Right now $300 (including shipping) frameset, panto'd post $50, paint job $300, vintage Campagnolo parts mixed groupset/wheels (Croce d'Aune, Chorus, C-Record, Record) $400, Cinelli/3t cockpit/San Marco Rolls saddle $150, misc. $50 (bar tape, headbadge decal, beer). Panto'd stem adds about $70 over a plain stem, decal set $25-$50, custom bar tape adds $20. Presently accepting "GoFundMe" donations for added costs if someone wants to get this bike to a 100% original restoration; just kidding!
Already having all the parts makes it easy to spend more, but I can't forget the time and money already expended gathering components over the past few years, not to mention ongoing projects. I need to sell a few frames I do not expect to build-up in the next year or so to recoup some cash; if so I may go a bit farther on this build's budget.
Normally I am not painting a frame if it has original paint and decals regardless of condition, except for preservation purposes. This could easily be a $2000 project, but only have a value of around $1500 for sales purposes. I prefer to budget my builds to achieve an approximate even value (+/- $50-$100) as to money spent and resale value. Since I got the frame for about $200 less than general value it helps cover the paint work which I generally do not figure in for expenses since I rarely paint a frame; only twice out of over 50 frames.

Edit: Here is an example I found, but it is unknown if it had original decals and paint. It appears to be original, but curious that there are no seat tube decal remnants (there are remnants on the top tube), and no fade paint scheme on that tube as there is on the rest of the frame. That frameset is/was going for $500.
Also, upon seeing that design, I would prefer an incorrect decal set from earlier years.

Take care,
Jesper

I have received the frameset and discovered it was actually an ESA Columbus (I guess actually termed ESACOLNAGO tubing) tubed frame having the 6 narrow flutes vice the 4 wider flutes on a Colnago Master. This is a plus since the ESA tubing was not used very long by Colnago (Regal and ESA Mexico models for only a couple years). I will post photos when I get a chance; it's still in wrapping. Also, it is white and not red as I was originally told (I had not seen it directly when bought) which is fine since I have a few red bikes in the stable already. I might keep the white for now (job seems professionally done, and in very good condition) until I decide on a final finish; copper plated is a strong possibility if the price is right.
Take care,
Jesper

Closer inspection shows paint work to be a decent job, but certainly not professional; though not "rattle can" job either. BB has '53' stamped on it; I assume it's the size (I measured the ST as 53.5 cm c-c, 55 cm c-t, TT 55 cm c-c). I was told it was a 51.5 cm (also told it was red; owner must have confused it with another frame): but the size is still good for me. Seat cluster lug has 'P-10' stamped on it (possibly a lug designation); no other markings on the frame. I have a period correct "NOS" Cinelli EXA hexagonally fluted handlebar. A good match for this frame considering it's tubing style. I got it a few years ago for $70; price has tripled if purchasing today. I'm still looking for the OE bar plugs to fit; I might fabricate a pair if I can't find them or if cost is excessive.

Take care,
Jesper

WOW! Killer frame and handlebar.
The flutes look very similar to the Colnago PROFIL tubed frames.

I now understand your reasoning behind the application of decals and how they might appear on the undulating tube surface.

A lot of cool paint designs could be done on that style of tubing, but I imagine it would be expensive if you choose to go multicolor on the indentations. I would have to mount a seat post with 6 flutes just to match the overall scheme given your choice of the Cinelli bar. I have never seen that bar before; I wonder how it would feel on the hands after a long ride. What type of wrap would be used and how would it look?

I tried looking up those frames and came across that frame (yours maybe?, same frame dimensions) as a previous listing now gone. It was $425 shipped; if you got same for $300 shipped from Europe you definitely got a great deal!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(03-20-2021, 11:27 PM)Criminal Wrote:  I tried looking up those frames and came across that frame (yours maybe?, same frame dimensions) as a previous listing now gone. It was $425 shipped; if you got same for $300 shipped from Europe you definitely got a great deal!

I did a quick search and saw that frameset you mentioned. It is definitely the same frame, but I don't deal with ebay unless absolutely necessary; too many screwed up sellers. Bogdan, whom I purchased the frame from is the ebay seller, but we have established a personal and business relationship over a few years now, and we talk directly so no ebay fees, no need to rush orders to satisfy a customer's need to have something 'yesterday'; thus, a much better deal. I never check what he has for sale on ebay; I just inquire about what I am looking for, and he also informs me of items that I might be interested in whether I was looking for them or not. Works out perfectly for both parties! Since I am getting a bit over stocked on larger and smaller frames, and complete bikes that I found locally and/or stripped off parts; I will be putting some up for sale. I still have the tiny Quintana Roo alloy frame/carbon fork so time to put it on craigslist (Florida area) and see what it fetches; I saw an identical one (but larger) sell for about $400, and mine is in much better condition, although a niche market (women, small guys, juniors) due to size so selling around $300 depending on saddle/pedal fit to it.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-20-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: G_M