Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rock Shox Judy xc preloads?
Hey guys,
Have a Rock Shox Judy XC on a Gary Fisher HooKooeKoo that sags just a little more than I like. I've got the preloads screwed all the way down. I put a rubber washer(3/8" thick) under the preload adjuster inside the fork and it seems to be giving the right amount of sag(20%).
Is this alright to do or is there a specific part for these shocks to accomplish this?...
I'm not going to mess the shock up by doing this, am I? 
Thanks
(03-19-2015, 05:41 PM)!TREK4ME! Wrote:  Hey guys,
Have a Rock Shox Judy XC on a Gary Fisher HooKooeKoo that sags just a little more than I like. I've got the preloads screwed all the way down. I put a rubber washer(3/8" thick) under the preload adjuster inside the fork and it seems to be giving the right amount of sag(20%).
Is this alright to do or is there a specific part for these shocks to accomplish this?...
I'm not going to mess the shock up by doing this, am I? 
Thanks

I saw a Sram website that had a section for Rockshox. You may want to google that as they have service mauals posted there. the last bike I had with bad front shocks i changed over to good used RS1 shocks a bicycle dealer sold me for $20. 
"Where ever we go, there we are"
What year is your Judy XC?. Have you pulled out your mcu elastomer stack? It sounds like they are starting to deteriorate. They crumble to powder when they junk out. Service parts are next to none. Fork replacement or if you can find a spring kit for your model may suffice but really changes the feel of the fork. Good luck finding either. You will not harm your fork any more than Rockshox has by not supplying rebuild parts for older models. Run it til it goes mush and move on. These forks have made many a good bike turn to junk for parts or high cost to replace a fork of any quality.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks guys for the info.
The shock works great. Changed the oil and cleaned it up(not dirty at all). It's just that the springs are a little soft for my weight. They are the yellow and red springs and in looking at the charts for this shock(SRAM), I really need two black (225lbs+).
I installed a couple 3/8" thick rubber washers on top of the preload springs and then screwed the preload adjusters down. Seems to be giving me the right sag. Just whated to know if this "Juryrigging" is alright to do?
Thanks
The worst thing that can happen - IF everything is screwed together properly - is that the springs will sag more.  You are not out anything, as you can always try to find replacement springs.
Nigel
(03-20-2015, 05:02 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The worst thing that can happen - IF everything is screwed together properly - is that the springs will sag more.  You are not out anything, as you can always try to find replacement springs.

Awesome... If you see any black Judy springs(99-2000) year, let me know?
Thanks again !