Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newb needs help with Haro Backtrail X2
How do i get this off? All the videos ive seen show a hammer and screwdriver, socket, etc. but there is nowhere in there for me to put anything. If thats a spacer in the center its not budging.
Heres a better pic
The picture shows cartridge bearings, with an inner race spacer.

What did it look like before you got to this point?

What is in between the shell of the frame and the outer race of the bearings? The pictures are not clear enough.
Nigel
That's a cartridge bearing conversion kit. Don't replace the bearing if it still feels smooth and there's no play in the spindle when mounted. If it's no good then just whack it out with a punch from the inside, working around the perimeter little by little till each one's out. To replace with the same Google "bottom bracket conversion" to find both parts and the procedure.
(08-26-2014, 07:00 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The picture shows cartridge bearings, with an inner race spacer.

What is in between the shell of the frame and the outer race of the bearings? The pictures are not clear enough.

Before that it had a spindle in it, thats it. Not sure what it is between there.
(08-26-2014, 07:05 PM)cny-man Wrote:  That's a cartridge bearing conversion kit. Don't replace the bearing if it still feels smooth and there's no play in the spindle when mounted. If it's no good then just whack it out with a punch from the inside, working around the perimeter little by little till each one's out. To replace with the same Google "bottom bracket conversion" to find both parts and the procedure.

No rotating the bearing was pretty rough. When the pedals were on they didnt rotate very well either. To get it out how do i move the spacer enough to hit inside of there? I dont need to replace it with a conversion kit do i? Could i just use american sealed or mid?
(08-26-2014, 07:00 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The picture shows cartridge bearings, with an inner race spacer.

Does this help?
The picture shows a standard industrial ball bearing (aka cartridge bearing) with its shield removed. The shiny metal part to the outside of the balls is call the outer race. The metal part to the inside of the balls is the inner race. Between the balls, under grease, is the ball retainer.

Using a punch or screw driver at an angle, hit the inner race on the opposite side; HARD, go round (with respect to the bike frame, not the inner race of the bearing) about 30° at a time, hitting the inner race each time. Two or three revolutions and the bearing will be out (and trashed). Repeat on the other side.

Take the bearings to an industrial supply house, and get matching replacement (Inner diameter and outer diameter have to match exactly).

Installing new bearings: push on the outer race ONLY. Most likely the previous owner did the installation wrong and damaged the bearings in the process. These bearings, properly installed will last many decades; even centuries. (As long as they are no subjected to washing with a solvent or water - high pressure water and soap is especially bad).
Nigel