Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

CODA 300 Crankset Chainrings???
Well, thanks to "Xerxes" who got me starightened out on the compatibilty of shifters and derailleurs. Now I've realized my 3 chainrings are shot, but the crank appears to be tight and fine. Problem is I can't find any chainrings that appear to work. There is nothing on the crank or chainrings that says what brand or model, but researching the bike, it is a CODA 300 22/32/44. 5 hole, Center to Center 56 mm on bolt holes. If I have to replace the entire crankset, what will work? The bike is a 1997 Canondale F900. Thanks in advance.
without knowing exactly what the bcd is it could be a problem, some were 94 and 110. even so replacing the rings could be costly. I would shop around for another crankset and rings then make up your mind which way to go. you are looking at $300 to $600 going CODA
sugino makes on that would serve its purpose if you want to get by cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Shimano-XT-M737-crankset-44-32-22-170mm-1994-8-speed-Hyper-Drive-C-/310419190377?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48466cf269#ht_1966wt_948
this would be a nice fit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugino-Impel-150X-175mm-28-38-48-7-8-Speed-Crankset-Silver-Arms-/140802561895?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c87c9767#ht_2825wt_1182
this would get you by the cheapest and add a bottom bracket to both
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on getting a new bike next year, so I was trying to keep the cost down. Although I don't know what BCD is, I believe mine is 94. I wasn't certain as to your suggestions, would the less expensive crankset work? I woudn't have a very low gear, but at this point, I think I'm going to be lucky to get this thing running well. The bike is definitely not worth spending over $120 more on. Thanks again for your help.
yes the cheaper one will work fine, the gearing is old school Mtb and you may like it. but could need a chain replacement also along with a bottom bracket.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks again. Confused. Would my bottom bracket not work with the new crankset? I'm assuming that the bottom bracket is the bolt assembly that your crank arms attach to? Appreciate your help.
bottom brackets are generally crank specific. if it happens to be the same length that is called out for your new crank yes it should work.
triple cranksets can vary from 111 to 127.5 or so.
measure your spindle end to end and your shell width on your frame
and see how the length compares to what your new crank calls out for
Color Silver
Weight 690g
Spindle Interface Type Square Taper JIS
Spindle Length 113,110mm
Pedal Spindle 9/16"
Bolt Pattern Riveted
Chainring BCD 64mm
Arm Length 175mm
Rings 28-38-48
Crank-FD Type Mountain Triple
Crank Intended Use Mountain
Chain Compatibility 3/32"
Defined Color Silver
these are specs for the sugino Impel
if your old bb matches 113 to 110mm
it should work ok
if the 48t ring is much larger than what you have you will need a chain.
one other thing to spec would be the front derailluer to be sure it can handle the new gearing
Here's how to determine the BCD of your chainrings:

Here: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

And here: http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

I'm fairly certain that the CODA will be 94mm BCD for the outer two rings and 58mm BCD for the inner granny ring and you should be able to find replacement chainrings easily enough.

However, you may find that it costs more for 3 chainrings than it does for a new chainset. Having said that, if you are planning on selling the bike when you get a new one, and you do replace the whole chainset, it might be worth keeping hold of the old one; some people might prefer it original.
there are other cranksets available with closer gearing to what you have. I was just giving you an example of one or two. I had replaced the Bottom bracket on my F400 Cannondale with the 113mm the original was closer to 111. I have Xt derailluers front and rear and the front derailluer would bottom out on the throw before grabbing the outer ring. I could not believe
it was doing that. so if that is your case choose the 110 or 111 BB. but I was able to fine tune the position and adjust the cage (bend) and it works great. I do have top Deore thumbies also.
Thanks again for advice. I found Salsa chainrings 94/58, and the three would be about 89 plus shipping. Would it be cheaper by much to replace the crankset?
Not sure about US prices, but you could probably find a cheap complete chainset for less, but it probably wouldn't be as nice as your existing one.
probably not cheaper by the time you may have to add a chain and Bottom bracket
Thanks. I've found a better whole set by FSA, but they say 9 speed compatible, I assume that they won't work on my 8 speed?
7, 8 and 9 speed chains, chainrings and chainsets are all completely interchangeable. Smile
(08-30-2012, 01:49 PM)xerxes Wrote:  7, 8 and 9 speed chains, chainrings and chainsets are all completely interchangeable. Smile
I would be careful with that one. it might vary with different companies. there is a distinct difference between a Hg-70 Shimano chain width and a Cn-7700 Durace Hg 9 speed chain.
the 6,7,8, speed pin would be 7.1mm and the 9 speed would be 6.5
which may cause over throwing the chain rings at times depending on the crankset and ring spacing
(08-30-2012, 05:44 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(08-30-2012, 01:49 PM)xerxes Wrote:  7, 8 and 9 speed chains, chainrings and chainsets are all completely interchangeable. Smile
I would be careful with that one. it might vary with different companies. there is a distinct difference between a Hg-70 Shimano chain width and a Cn-7700 Durace Hg 9 speed chain.
the 6,7,8, speed pin would be 7.1mm and the 9 speed would be 6.5
which may cause over throwing the chain rings at times depending on the crankset and ring spacing

I've got 9spd chains on both my 7spd MTBs Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Far Away