Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Ghost shifting already in brand new bike (friction shifters)
I just bought a Fuji Absolute 4.0 today (it was sort of an impulse buy after a long search and I already regret it). It has Shimano Revoshift friction shifters (on the L, the R/small gears is indexed). I've only ever ridden mountain bikes with index shifting, and I've never worked on a bike myself. Tonight I take the new bike on its first proper ride and on the very first hill, it's ghost shifting. This bike has been ridden less than five miles (plus whatever mileage is on it from people trying it out at the store).

I can't tell if it's a delay from when I shift on the friction shifter (like when you aren't pedaling enough on an index shift bike and it takes a second to sort of "lock in") or if there is something wrong with the bike. It keeps shifting so many times on its own after I haven't done anything else with the shifter that I'm concerned that it's the latter.

I haven't been able to find any information on this problem happening in new mass-produced bikes, only in bikes that are either old, or that someone built themselves and need to tweak. It seems unlikely that anything has worn to the point that this would happen.

Any insight as to why this might be happening on a brand new bike would be really helpful. I would just take it to a shop right away, but the shop where I got it is a bit far from where I live, and I don't want to pay/look like an idiot unless I really need to. Thanks!
(08-26-2010, 11:29 PM)atxan Wrote:  I just bought a Fuji Absolute 4.0 today (it was sort of an impulse buy after a long search and I already regret it). It has Shimano Revoshift friction shifters (on the L, the R/small gears is indexed). I've only ever ridden mountain bikes with index shifting, and I've never worked on a bike myself. Tonight I take the new bike on its first proper ride and on the very first hill, it's ghost shifting. This bike has been ridden less than five miles (plus whatever mileage is on it from people trying it out at the store).

I can't tell if it's a delay from when I shift on the friction shifter (like when you aren't pedaling enough on an index shift bike and it takes a second to sort of "lock in") or if there is something wrong with the bike. It keeps shifting so many times on its own after I haven't done anything else with the shifter that I'm concerned that it's the latter.

I haven't been able to find any information on this problem happening in new mass-produced bikes, only in bikes that are either old, or that someone built themselves and need to tweak. It seems unlikely that anything has worn to the point that this would happen.

Any insight as to why this might be happening on a brand new bike would be really helpful. I would just take it to a shop right away, but the shop where I got it is a bit far from where I live, and I don't want to pay/look like an idiot unless I really need to. Thanks!

Hello,

I am sort of new to the forum, but I am a Fuji Dealer in Georgia, My shop sells both Fuji and SE Bikes and have had extremely good results with them.

I can look into the problem with my service rep. This is not something common that I have been made aware of. I am not really that familiar with the 4.0 version though as people that have the Absolute here usually get the 2.0 or 1.0 because they have far better components.

I would say though that even if you don't want to take the bike back to the shop where you bought it your first action should be to call them and ask if this is common and what you can do to prevent or rectify the situation. It costs very little for a phone call and it may be something real simple.

I will send an email off to the Fuji rep that helps me on any poblems similar to yours and will post a reply here once I hear back, but in the meantime give the dealer a buzz and let him/her know that you are having issues. THey sure can't do anything about what they don't know about.

Have a great day.

Jerry

(08-26-2010, 11:29 PM)atxan Wrote:  I just bought a Fuji Absolute 4.0 today (it was sort of an impulse buy after a long search and I already regret it). It has Shimano Revoshift friction shifters (on the L, the R/small gears is indexed). I've only ever ridden mountain bikes with index shifting, and I've never worked on a bike myself. Tonight I take the new bike on its first proper ride and on the very first hill, it's ghost shifting. This bike has been ridden less than five miles (plus whatever mileage is on it from people trying it out at the store).

Join me to discuss anything cycling at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-bicycle-nut
get it back to your supplier, sounds like a minor adjustment to the RD is required, not unusual on new bikes as parts settle down and is due the RD holding the chain slightly out of line with the teeth, this can be adjusted by screwing the barrel adjuster in or out as required.

You can usually see the mis alignment if you look closely from the back and below at the position of the chain on the teeth and turn the pedals slowly, the chain will be rubbing against the next gear up before the shifter is moved, or the RD will not be moving the chain far enough to complete the change cleanly and causing it to rattle as it tries to climb up.

My LBS offers a free service on all new bikes after 2/3 weeks use for this reason
Gear and brake cables also have a "bed-in" period, and thus after a bit of riding the cable tension will drop and need adjusting to make it work properly again.

My Hardrock had to go back for a quick tune-up the day after I bought it because the cables had bedded in very quickly. The rear derallieur has since been replaced (crash damage) but the front has caused no problems at all two years down the line.
A very similar bike in the UK, the Python Daytona, has a MRRP of £229($355) and comes with EZ-fire shifters and front sus!!
http://gbbikes.co.uk/city.html#city
Good info, thanks everyone! I'll make sure it's still having the problem once I've gotten a little more adept at the friction shifters and then take it in to be looked at if it's still acting up.

Possibly Related Threads...