Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

Is the mullet just a fad?
I've heard soooo many conflicting thoughts on a mullet...

Love to get some feedback here Smile
Though I haven't tried one yet but depending on what type of riding you were doing, I think that mullet bikes were not a fad.

Definitely for DH, Enduro or Trail mullet may have a marginal gain depending on the ride you will be looking.

For XC, I think nah.
What are the positives and negatives of the mullet?
I ride this style for winter.

Wider tire in the back gives you incredible traction to catch slips and counter-balance.

The narrower tire in the front is more easily maneuvered in and out, further increasing the handling response, and also help to guide the back tire.

Less material means less friction, so it gives you better coasting and roll-over potential as well having a narrower tire in the front.
(08-11-2024, 05:00 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I ride this style for winter.

Wider tire in the back gives you incredible traction to catch slips and counter-balance.

The narrower tire in the front is more easily maneuvered in and out, further increasing the handling response, and also help to guide the back tire.

Less material means less friction, so it gives you better coasting and roll-over potential as well having a narrower tire in the front.

Great feedback! Not often I get such a clear idea of what works. Thanks
I think mullets work best on full suspension bikes when you want that extra rear wheel cushion over rough stuff. May not be as big a benefit on a hardtail since there's no rear shock
(08-15-2024, 08:27 AM)Mr joe Wrote:  I think mullets work best on full suspension bikes when you want that extra rear wheel cushion over rough stuff. May not be as big a benefit on a hardtail since there's no rear shock

Thanks for that. Do you own one? Have you ridden one?
I don't own a bike with a mullet setup, but a few buddies of mine have experimented with them on their hardtails. I've had the chance to borrow one for a ride and really liked how it smoothed out the back end. I don't know if I'd permanently set one up that way on my hardtail, but as a trial run it was fun to see how it handled.
        Thanks, @ReapThaWhirlwind and @Flowrider, for this wonderful thread and discussion.

Could you please confirm if by 'mullet' you mean a larger front wheel and a smaller rear wheel? That’s the definition I found in articles online. And, does a mullet have a narrower front wheel?

@Flowrider, without knowing the definition of a "mullet", I think I've been riding one since July 2022. It wasn't intentional, and I apologize if this takes the discussion in a different direction, but I just connected the dots.

While in Colombia, I was looking for a spare tire for my fatbike and bought the first one I found. As the new one was not foldable, I decided to carry the original foldable tire in my handlebar bag and use the new one on the front wheel. It has always looked odd, and people have commented on why I have two different-sized tires. I'd usually just say it’s because they’re from different manufacturers.

Both tires are labeled 26x4, but you can see in the attached picture that the front tire is larger, though not as much as 29 vs. 27.5.

Unfortunately, I can’t compare this setup to when both tires were the same size/brand. But I can say I've ridden this 'mullet' on some challenging terrain while fully packed, and it’s been great. Again, it’s not a true mullet..

My apologies again if my comment diverts the discussion, but sincere gratitude for enlightening me about my bike!

Before reading this thread I was considering switching the tires but ..

(08-12-2024, 01:12 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  

Great feedback! Not often I get such a clear idea of what works. Thanks
Hi @GirishH yes, a mullet setup indicates use of two different wheels, usually a 29' up front and a 27.5' at the back, back then they used to do this on 29' and 26' at the back. Mountain bikers do this usually to get the benefits of both tires to maximize how fast they go going down a steep hill, 29' wheels 'carry' speed better and can roll over rocks easily but is harder to maneuver, 27.5 wheels on the other hand is very nimble and accelerates faster than larger wheels, you get both positives by doing this kind of set up.

Fantastic! Thanks for that info. Thats' really great feedback
Thanks, @meamoantonio for that confirmación and explaination.

(08-21-2024, 06:57 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  Hi @GirishH yes, a mullet setup indicates use of two different wheels, usually a 29' up front and a 27.5' at the back, back then they used to do this on 29' and 26' at the back. Mountain bikers do this usually to get the benefits of both tires to maximize how fast they go going down a steep hill, 29' wheels 'carry' speed better and can roll over rocks easily but is harder to maneuver, 27.5 wheels on the other hand is very nimble and accelerates faster than larger wheels, you get both positives by doing this kind of set up.
(08-25-2024, 04:44 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Thanks, @meamoantonio for that confirmación and explaination.

(08-21-2024, 06:57 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  Hi @GirishH yes, a mullet setup indicates use of two different wheels, usually a 29' up front and a 27.5' at the back, back then they used to do this on 29' and 26' at the back. Mountain bikers do this usually to get the benefits of both tires to maximize how fast they go going down a steep hill, 29' wheels 'carry' speed better and can roll over rocks easily but is harder to maneuver, 27.5 wheels on the other hand is very nimble and accelerates faster than larger wheels, you get both positives by doing this kind of set up.

@meamoantonio Again thanks for that clear information. I went from 26" both to 29 both with having to make some adjustments. Be interesting to see how I go with 29" and 26" front and rear. Was it easy for you?
(08-27-2024, 05:59 PM)Flowrider Wrote:  
(08-25-2024, 04:44 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Thanks, @meamoantonio for that confirmación and explaination.

@meamoantonio Again thanks for that clear information. I went from 26" both to 29 both with having to make some adjustments. Be interesting to see how I go with 29" and 26" front and rear. Was it easy for you?

the ease of the shift really depends on how often you ride, if you ride once a week I'd imagine taking a month or two to get used to it but if you ride 3 or more times a week it'll probably take a week or two to get the hang of it, try experimenting with different wheel sizes too, you discover more about yourself and how you ride while trying out different things, enjoy!
(08-31-2024, 02:52 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  
(08-27-2024, 05:59 PM)Flowrider Wrote:  

the ease of the shift really depends on how often you ride, if you ride once a week I'd imagine taking a month or two to get used to it but if you ride 3 or more times a week it'll probably take a week or two to get the hang of it, try experimenting with different wheel sizes too, you discover more about yourself and how you ride while trying out different things, enjoy!

Experimenting is the way to go however it does mean adapting your wheel size and frame and forks etc... I think I'll just go with the majority and 29" and 27.5" and just go with the flow Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post