Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the June Giveaway to Win the Kazam Buddi 20" Aluminum Trailer Bike

Community Discussion Cycling Myths
What's one thing you believed was true about cycling but turns out it wasn't?

I always thought cycling was an individual thing turns out its not!!
I thought cycling was boring but it's so fun..:-) So, meditative..
Truly, I believed cycling was merely a mode of commuting or a type of exercise and never saw it beyond that. However, that has proven to be untrue, and I am so glad for it. Now, it has become a life choice, a mode of change, a 'vehicle' for proving and showcasing one's potential, capability, and much more..:-)

(06-30-2024, 06:02 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I thought cycling was boring but it's so fun..:-) So, meditative..
Myth: the lighter the weight and the more aerodynamic a bike is makes it faster.

Truth: the lighter the weight and the more aerodynamic a bike is requires less energy by the rider to travel at the same speed than on a heavier less aerodynamic bike. The stronger and more conditioned the rider is what makes a bike faster. The bike does not pedal itself; you are the engine. The same can be said for descending, but in this case gravity is the engine. Most people are not of a high enough skill level to gain anything but a negligible advantage from newer bikes. If that was not true than I could not be passing modern bikes on my 40 to 50 year old heavy "non-aerodynamic" bikes. Your body weight, size and riding style have much more of an affect overall than (within reason) the bike's weight and aerodynamic signature. Ride a carbon fiber TT "aero" bike with drop bars (riding in the drops) or aero bars, and then ride the same bike with raised bars sitting upright. You will readily understand the difference between truth and myth at that point; especially riding into a headwind.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS