Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

Community Discussion Cycling Myths
What's one thing you believed was true about cycling but turns out it wasn't?

I always thought cycling was an individual thing turns out its not!!
I thought cycling was boring but it's so fun..:-) So, meditative..
Truly, I believed cycling was merely a mode of commuting or a type of exercise and never saw it beyond that. However, that has proven to be untrue, and I am so glad for it. Now, it has become a life choice, a mode of change, a 'vehicle' for proving and showcasing one's potential, capability, and much more..:-)

(06-30-2024, 06:02 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I thought cycling was boring but it's so fun..:-) So, meditative..
Myth: the lighter the weight and the more aerodynamic a bike is makes it faster.

Truth: the lighter the weight and the more aerodynamic a bike is requires less energy by the rider to travel at the same speed than on a heavier less aerodynamic bike. The stronger and more conditioned the rider is what makes a bike faster. The bike does not pedal itself; you are the engine. The same can be said for descending, but in this case gravity is the engine. Most people are not of a high enough skill level to gain anything but a negligible advantage from newer bikes. If that was not true than I could not be passing modern bikes on my 40 to 50 year old heavy "non-aerodynamic" bikes. Your body weight, size and riding style have much more of an affect overall than (within reason) the bike's weight and aerodynamic signature. Ride a carbon fiber TT "aero" bike with drop bars (riding in the drops) or aero bars, and then ride the same bike with raised bars sitting upright. You will readily understand the difference between truth and myth at that point; especially riding into a headwind.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Love mountain biking!

Always been my way to get away from stuff and give me freedom, even if only for a short while.
When I was a kid get away from domestic drama, hang out with mates, and as life moved on a wonderful way to enjoy Nature.
No distractions. Social media, and any commitments that can wait.
Wonderful therapy. By myself or with my mates of similar mindset.

When I'm Prime Minister every kid born will be given a bicycle Big Grin
As an adult I thought cycling was more of a niche activity.

It's almost for everyone, children, (boys and girls), teens, commuters, nature lovers, fitness buffs, the elderly, suburban and urban transportation, racing, boardwalk cruising, the wealthy and the lower income, indoor gym "machines", and with tricycles many disabled folks.

I'm sure I missed a few on that list, but it really does cover a large range of society.

-Jeff
-Jeff
(06-30-2024, 06:02 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I thought cycling was boring but it's so fun..:-) So, meditative..

Agree on this. Before I use to commute to work. The stress of daily work, traffic and daily personal issues is taking a huge toll on me mentally. I started to incorporate cycling during pandemic at it really help me clear the voices inside my head which makes me think clearly and appreciate life even more.
(06-30-2024, 03:02 AM)Talha Wrote:  What's one thing you believed was true about cycling but turns out it wasn't?

I always thought cycling was an individual thing turns out its not!!

It's the same for me. Until a few years ago, I thought that pro cyclists raced as individuals, not as teams. I had no idea how Tour de France worked, and it was frankly a bit boring watching it because I didn't understand all the tactics and strategizing behind the moves.

Now that I understand more about it and now that I also do group rides that sometimes turn out to be a bit competitive, I find watching pro cycling races so much more exciting.
I thought cycling was expensive... later found out that instead of being expensive it's actually really really expensive Big Grin
(07-13-2024, 09:47 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  I thought cycling was expensive... later found out that instead of being expensive it's actually really really expensive Big Grin

LOL. That is funny. And there's a lot of truth in that.

On the other hand, it's definitely a myth that cycling has to be expensive.
(07-13-2024, 09:47 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  I thought cycling was expensive... later found out that instead of being expensive it's actually really really expensive Big Grin

Really, really true!

(07-13-2024, 06:41 PM)enkei Wrote:  

LOL. That is funny. And there's a lot of truth in that.

On the other hand, it's definitely a myth that cycling has to be expensive.

And also true.

But bike shops are getting out of hand with pricing, and manufacturers are doing the same when selling to shops. I would be curious the know what the mark-up is at a bike shop compared to their purchase cost.

I recently saw a Sun brand beach cruiser (single speed, coaster brake) priced nearly $500 at a shop. Beach cruisers were always the most reasonably priced bikes back in the day. Online buying is now the only real cost effective way to get a good deal pricewise, but not alwaus a good deal quality or customer service wise. Even badic vibtage bikes are being priced 1.5 to 2 times their value and they often need hundreds of dollars in parts and service to make them truly road worthy.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(07-13-2024, 09:50 PM)Jesper Wrote:  But bike shops are getting out of hand with pricing, and manufacturers are doing the same when selling to shops. I would be curious the know what the mark-up is at a bike shop compared to their purchase cost.

I recently saw a Sun brand beach cruiser (single speed, coaster brake) priced nearly $500 at a shop. Beach cruisers were always the most reasonably priced bikes back in the day. Online buying is now the only real cost effective way to get a good deal pricewise, but not alwaus a good deal quality or customer service wise. Even badic vibtage bikes are being priced 1.5 to 2 times their value and they often need hundreds of dollars in parts and service to make them truly road worthy.

My 'rat bike': an old Charge Plug One steel-frame single-speed. Neighbour in London was throwing it out, so I snagged it. New front wheel/tyres/tubes/cables/chain/bar tape/brake blocks. BAM!

I didn't buy the cheapest replacement parts, but someone else could have been very thrifty and ended up with a bike that easily cruises for many miles and cost peanuts. I haven't touched the BB and the Token rear wheel remains happy.

I think I finally threw on a new Shimano freewheel, as well. That was in 2017. Freewheel started making nasty noises in 2018. It's still going today! Been thinking of putting a White Industries freewheel on it, but why should I if it's still working fine, right?

Technically, this frame is wayyyy small for me but somehow, it works, and this little monster just rips. It's such a blast to ride and comfortable for many miles, oddly enough.

Yes, bike shops can be pricey, but as you know, most stuff that bikes need is cheap and easy to do. I gave away three 'trash' bikes a few months ago. I still have one sitting in my shed. None of them glorious, or even likely to last very long without a lot of work, but pedal they do!

Cycling does not have to be expensive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post