Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the June Giveaway to Win the Kazam Buddi 20" Aluminum Trailer Bike

Tubeless Sealant
Hey folks!

When you top off the sealant on your tubeless road bike, how much sealant do you add? I kind of eyeball it but I don't really know how much is the right amount.
Thanks!
Hello!
from 30 to 60 ml of sealant depending on the width of the tire
I have a MTB, I use more
Cannondale Trail 6
bike and parts wholesale
Agree on this one. I use a 2.5/2.4 combo and I use 60ml of sealant on my tires.
(05-31-2024, 11:36 AM)Amanda_W Wrote:  Hey folks!

When you top off the sealant on your tubeless road bike, how much sealant do you add? I kind of eyeball it but I don't really know how much is the right amount.
Thanks!

Sweet spot for roadbikes is usually 45ml for 28c to 32c

25c should be fine with 30ml

for 35c and up 60ml

Hope this helps!
@meamoantonio it helped me and I do not use those tires, but I people ask me about them regularly. Thanks!
I still cannot underdtand why they do not maintain their pressure given a sealant is being used which should prevent air loss. I have yet to study the design, but from anecdotal evidence surrounding lower pressure tires I am concerned that they would be fairly useless at pressures I ride at. 110 to 140psi. I am however considering tubeless tubular (glue on) tires for some older rims since the actual rim does not require a special design, but I have yet to research the availability of any products that might existon the market. If they do then I would presume that they would not be lpding air other than through a bad valve.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-24-2024, 06:48 AM)Jesper Wrote:  @meamoantonio it helped me and I do not use those tires, but I people ask me about them regularly. Thanks!
I still cannot underdtand why they do not maintain their pressure given a sealant is being used which should prevent air loss. I have yet to study the design, but from anecdotal evidence surrounding lower pressure tires I am concerned that they would be fairly useless at pressures I ride at. 110 to 140psi. I am however considering tubeless tubular (glue on) tires for some older rims since the actual rim does not require a special design, but I have yet to research the availability of any products that might existon the market. If they do then I would presume that they would not be lpding air other than through a bad valve.

Hi Jesper, yes your are correct, the gains to be made from going tubeless come from lower tire pressures, plus the new hookless rims wont allow you to go past 80psi anyway. Try adding sealant to your tubular setup and maintaining the same psi you regularly run, our shop tested this at lesiure rides and competitions, we found the sealant works. One of our riders suffered a puncture in a time trial, he was able to pump up his tires and finish the race because of the sealant.

Hope this helps!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-28-2021, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Brant

02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

05-31-2014, 10:44 PM