Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

E-Bike Newbie
Hello All,

My wife and I just bought 2 Aventon Level 2 bikes and are very excited!! We are a retired couple that bought a camper last summer and we look forward to traveling around this beautiful country of ours and want to use the e-bikes to explore the various destinations we visit.

joerone Cool
joerone Cool
(03-30-2024, 09:18 PM)joerone Wrote:  Hello All,

My wife and I just bought 2 Aventon Level 2 bikes and are very excited!! We are a retired couple that bought a camper last summer and we look forward to traveling around this beautiful country of ours and want to use the e-bikes to explore the various destinations we visit.

joerone Cool

Hello,
It would be appreciated if you would provide information about your bikes once you get them. If you could give the specs (weight, motor power, etc.), features (stock, and optional), cost, and performance (handling, comfort, range, etc.). Note: range is obviously based on rider's weight, bike's weight (as ridden with any cargo and accessories), and terrain (flat, hills, paved/unpaved, mixed). Giving your own weight(s) is optional, but it helps others to get a better idea of what to expect if they are not the same as yourself or your wife. This is something that the bike companies never provide in their range estimates. I am about 140 lbs so I would expect to get more range out of one charge than someone heavier and vice versa.
After having ridden it and battery is low what is the approximate time to achieve full charge (e.g. battery at 1/2 capacity took 2 hrs to recharge). I would also like to know what a replacement battery costs for the bike. My advice is to purchase a bike and spare battery at the same time (possibly working it into the purchase as a buying incentive). You will not know how much the battery will cost in the future, nor how readily available they may be when it fails to charge and you have nothing at hand (especially if you are on the road driving far from a dealer). I would also recommend having at least one spare tire per bike in your vehicle, spare inner tubes (if applicable), and of course, tire/tube repair kit/tools.
I live just north of you in MA near the Quabbin reservoir (very hilly at my house, avg about 100 feet or more of climbing per every mile or so in many areas) and I am curious if these ebikes, as heavy as they are even with a light rider, can tackle the hills and if their range is much more limited given those conditions.
Also, I would like to know how hard are they to pedal without any battery power. I need something I can cycle at 10mph or more with a dead battery if I want to really utilize it in a true e-bike manner and not just as an "e-scooter".

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-01-2024, 01:23 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Giving your own weight(s) is optional, but it helps others to get a better idea of what to expect if they are not the same as yourself or your wife. This is something that the bike companies never provide in their range estimates.

Actually, I have come across a very small number of e-bike brands that DO state rider weight when giving their range estimates. Alas, I can't recall right now which brands that is, but I remember seeing it because I was so surprised at the time.

Also, ElectricBikeReport.com typically do a great job of testing the real-world range of e-bikes, and the bikeride.com e-bike reviews often highlight where reviewers have tested the real-world range.
@enkei I would love to see the specs for those giving rider weights. I have seen it on independent tests by pro reviewers but not in a company's specs.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Wink 
(04-02-2024, 01:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @enkei I would love to see the specs for those giving rider weights. I have seen it on independent tests by pro reviewers but not in a company's specs.

If I manage to remember any, I'll let you know.