Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Back in the saddle after a layoff
Finally got back in the saddle after having to travel a bit. After six weeks I put in a couple of 70-80km rides but i felt the layoff. Not as bad as a six month break but I felt it. Two bottle ride with electrolytes and citrulline and two SIS gels. Needed them all. What was the longest layoff you had and how bad was it getting back to form?
My training is so rigorous that I can usually pick right up where I left off—with gains.

One of the methods behind this is that I force consecutive bouts of certain gear ratios to deep stages of fatigue. For example, I will force grinding in top gear only (despite the onset of fatigue day after day). Then I force cycling in mid gears the same (15-16). Then the higher gears (16-17).

One thing I do experience though similar to this is when the season changes and I have to not only switch to very low gears, I have to switch to knobby tires for winter riding. You get a lot of extra rolling resistance and you can feel it—but I still experience immense gain in my drive and endurance while grinding after the switch.
Ah, my whole life has been full of (road cycling) layoffs. I could do a solid spring & summer road cycling season in Denmark but then had to move to Belgium for a few months (internship) without my road bike, and then I had a layoff from August until March. Yeah, I would still do daily commuting on a bike and some fun MTB rides ... but that's just for fun.

Quite honestly, I do not feel the effect of such a layoff, but instead - I feel how my legs and form become stronger and stronger after each bike ride. 6-10 rides after a long break and I feel fantastic! It's about keeping consistency once you are back. What I've noticed: in recent two or three years, after I spent time in the Alps and gained more strength in my legs, I have switched completely to the large front chainring (as my comfort gear) instead of the small front chainring x small sprocket on the cassette combination. And after a long layoff, I no longer have issues with feeling weak while riding with the large chainring.

Due to the fact that we have snow & cold from November til March, I switch to cross-country skiing during the winter and that keeps me in top shape. Therefore getting back on the road bike and back in road cycling shape takes two-three good spring rides Smile
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
I spent 13 years in SE Asia and don't think I rode a bike even once during that time. I doubt I was riding frequently just before I moved out there, so my layoff was probably close to 15 years.

Still feeling, it, LOL. (been cycling regularly-ish again for 5 years)
This is a really interesting topic. Looking at layoff, I thought it would be a great way to clear one's head/life after a job layoff. That's how I cleared my life and got direction after I was laid off last June. But, SPINMAN had a different idea when he started this discussion thread...
(05-28-2023, 01:23 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  Finally got back in the saddle after having to travel a bit. After six weeks I put in a couple of 70-80km rides but i felt the layoff. Not as bad as a six month break but I felt it. Two bottle ride with electrolytes and citrulline and two SIS gels. Needed them all. What was the longest layoff you had and how bad was it getting back to form?

No breaks (except almost every spring) LOL
I worked abroad for a little over a year and never road then but getting back wasn’t to bad just getting the saddle chaffing for the first couple of weeks and some soreness but I kept in shape so it wasn’t to bad at all
Having a a pause in riding no matter how short or long will always affect optimum performance regardless of discipline. Mind and body are affected. If any of you are musicians you can easily understand this; stop for a day and fall back a week, stop a week and lose a month, stop a month and lose a year. Everything is relative when it comes to perishable skills.
Cross training is a great way to combat some loss, but it is not the same as performing and training at a specific skill/discipline. I have not been involved in engineering for nearly 8 years and it shows when I am trying to recall specific formulas and procedures, same with my music (which was always spotty anyways). I have, as @Zviedrs mentioned, employed cross country skiing and snowshoeing/winter hiking which have always helped. I have never been a fan of riding on trainers, but when there is no place to go and inclement it is an apt substitute if it is an option. My old wind trainer helped during my younger days in the naval service since I was stuck at sea. I would place my trainer at the bow of the ship and like a dog with its head hanging out of a car window I was able to still enjoy the simulated act of cycling and still feel like I was going somewhere as opposed to being stuck in a room since I had a change of scenery and the wind through my hair. I did a "tour" (about 193Km) of the Suez canal in that manner which was probably a fairly unique accomplishment in the history of cycling (rode my Colnago Super back then; '80s); I often wonder if anyone else has done it (I took my break at an anchorage; Great Bitter Lake). Many cyclists neglect to maintain upper body and core training which is important and trainers just do not seem to provide the same level of exercise as opposed to actual cycling, especially for climbing (why I hate Florida, no hills!, 80 mile commute 160 ft elevation; Massachusetts 40 mile commute 2000 ft elevation).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-16-2023, 04:38 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Ah, my whole life has been full of (road cycling) layoffs. I could do a solid spring & summer road cycling season in Denmark but then had to move to Belgium for a few months (internship) without my road bike, and then I had a layoff from August until March. Yeah, I would still do daily commuting on a bike and some fun MTB rides ... but that's just for fun.

Quite honestly, I do not feel the effect of such a layoff, but instead - I feel how my legs and form become stronger and stronger after each bike ride. 6-10 rides after a long break and I feel fantastic! It's about keeping consistency once you are back. What I've noticed: in recent two or three years, after I spent time in the Alps and gained more strength in my legs, I have switched completely to the large front chainring (as my comfort gear) instead of the small front chainring x small sprocket on the cassette combination. And after a long layoff, I no longer have issues with feeling weak while riding with the large chainring.

Due to the fact that we have snow & cold from November til March, I switch to cross-country skiing during the winter and that keeps me in top shape. Therefore getting back on the road bike and back in road cycling shape takes two-three good spring rides Smile

Love this! Im currently on a brake due to having to focus on work and I was starting to dread going back on the saddle for training but reading this helped alot and gave me hope, thank you, giod sir!
I am returning after an 8 month layoff without any cross training or other activity to help me keep in shape. My work schedule changed causing a severe disruption of sleeping pattern and screwed up my diet also. Just as I was ready to resume riding I had a foot injury that is taking awhile to heal due to having to stand on my feet for 8 hours or more during work, and it's still sore after 2 months. I gained 12 pounds in 8 months, but have been riding 2 of every 3 days for the last 3 weeks and I am now down to 5 pounds weight gain. I will easily be riding 250 miles in my first 30 days back. I lost about 10-12% efficiency on long rides and about 5%-7% loss on short rides. My average speed went from about 17-18mph to 15-15.5mph when going over 20 miles. It is somewhat hard to determine though due to starting back up riding again under high heat and humidity conditions in Florida. Very easy to start getting dehydrated after the ride due to no air flow to help cool my body. I only crave water to help cool my core and prevent excessive sweating. Sweating does nothing to cool me down once I have stopped since the high humidtity prevents adequate evaporation without some sort of air flow regardless of the ambient air temperature.
Take care,
Jesper

I have read that as little as a week without regular exercise results in a measurable loss of fitness, and things rapidly degrade from there. As many of us easily slide into weeks or months without regular exercise, that's a worrying thought.
I am now riding 6 of 7 days per week over the past week and a half. I am riding at an average speed of 16mph (includes slowing/stopping for traffic signs and lights); and I am up 1 full gear riding in 6th speed on a 2 x 6 speed bike staying on the small ring (44T) to ease back into shape. Ratio equates to between 9th and 10th gear on the large ring (52t), but I would normally be cruising in 10th gear on flats at around 17.5mph average so I am still behind by about one gear for cruising speed and cadence. I expect to stay in 6th gear for another week or so, or until it becomes too easy for me. Still just shy of 100 miles a week (last week 90 miles, week before 80 miles), but happy with the progress riding in 90°F - 95°F heat. I am doing hard (but short) interval runs twice per week with a long steady ride on the weekend of about 40 miles. If I can keep up the progress (need 120 miles per week) for 3 months through the summer and into fall I should be ready for the century ride I like to do in late October. It shows that a body (mine at least, 60yrs old) can take a fairly long break and still work itself back into reasonable condition over a month period barring injuries and poor weather conditions.
Take care,
Jesper

Well, I had to travel a bit more without my bike again. Renting is too expensive here. Fortunately, I was disciplined enough to do 2-3 beach runs a week, and I had a Spin Bike to keep the legs motivated. A couple of open-water swims and I'm ready to get back in the saddle again next week. See you on the road.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post