Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Hello from Oregon!
Hi, everyone! I'm in western Oregon, and I'm very new to riding. I taught myself to ride again after 21 years last year and rode for a while, but got too nervous about the concept of going on the street and put the bike up. Now I'm giving it another try, because I really did enjoy it. There's so many beautiful areas around here to explore! I have some health problems, so my getting started is going REALLY slow, but I'll get there. Smile
(02-08-2023, 04:07 AM)nykteria Wrote:  Hi, everyone! I'm in western Oregon, and I'm very new to riding. I taught myself to ride again after 21 years last year and rode for a while, but got too nervous about the concept of going on the street and put the bike up. Now I'm giving it another try, because I really did enjoy it. There's so many beautiful areas around here to explore! I have some health problems, so my getting started is going REALLY slow, but I'll get there. Smile

Welcome nykteria. Which part of Western Oregon are you from? Incidentally I got my first long distance ride in Oregon when I rode from Hillsboro to Tillamook. Then explored the beautiful coast before taking a bus back to Hillsboro. The mini-bus had a bike-rack..:-)

Last year I rode to Seattle from Portland.

Sadly, I don't live in Oregon so am jealous of you and folks who get to explore the beautiful state..:-)
(02-10-2023, 12:16 PM)GirishH Wrote:  
(02-08-2023, 04:07 AM)nykteria Wrote:  Hi, everyone! I'm in western Oregon, and I'm very new to riding. I taught myself to ride again after 21 years last year and rode for a while, but got too nervous about the concept of going on the street and put the bike up. Now I'm giving it another try, because I really did enjoy it. There's so many beautiful areas around here to explore! I have some health problems, so my getting started is going REALLY slow, but I'll get there. Smile

Welcome nykteria. Which part of Western Oregon are you from? Incidentally I got my first long distance ride in Oregon when I rode from Hillsboro to Tillamook. Then explored the beautiful coast before taking a bus back to Hillsboro. The mini-bus had a bike-rack..:-)

Sadly, I don't live in Oregon so am jealous of you and folks who get to explore the beautiful state..:-)

That sounds like a gorgeous trip! I'm in the Willamette Valley area, about 2 hours south of Portland. I would love to be in good enough shape someday to do the Seattle to Portland ride; I've heard a lot about it.

Welcome.

Most people have health challenges. If they don't have them yet, they probably will when they get older. I like to call them challenges, not problems. Getting out in the fresh air and exercising is beneficial for most people.

I started going short distances, not very fast. As I got fitter I went further.

I hope all goes well.
(02-14-2023, 05:05 AM)nykteria Wrote:  
(02-10-2023, 12:16 PM)GirishH Wrote:  

That sounds like a gorgeous trip! I'm in the Willamette Valley area, about 2 hours south of Portland. I would love to be in good enough shape someday to do the Seattle to Portland ride; I've heard a lot about it.

Hello nykteria, Williamette valley is beautiful too. There are too many beautiful rides you could do in Oregon and Washington. Take it easy and start-push as much as your health lets you. Slowly but surely, you will get there..:-) Even going around your neighborhood on a bike will show you different things compared to when you walk or drive..:-)

On a side note, I wouldn't do Portland to Seattle again. There were a few sections that really were death-traps. One section involved riding over a bridge along side huge trucks that were carrying logs, loads and other heavy traffic. And a second section involved actually riding on the freeway...:-(
Welcome! Hey everyone starts somewhere. Biking is a great hobby too even if you have health problems it’ll probably help with your all around mental and physical health 🤘🏼

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Last Post: wwwalterrr