Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Decorative Chainwheels and Chainrings
Someone was asking about a replacement chainwheel on an older bike they had so I pulled out a few to give them an idea of what was out there and different mounting styles. They were specifically looking for a decorative design appropriate to the bike's time period (they never stated year or brand, nor provided any photos) with 48T. Unfortunately, without the specifics I was shooting blind but offered some images as examples which range from the 1930-1970ish. Some thread directly onto the crank, some are swaged, and some are bolted (3-5 bolts). I think that once the weight of parts became more important with aluminum cogs for racing bikes, the decorative theme was abandoned to shed some weight even extending to factory "drillium" rings, and also rings that were being extensively engraved and/or cut-out both providing decoration and weight reduction. As shown, most early chainrings proudly displayed the bike's brand or logo (e.g. Raleigh "Heron", Rudge "Hand", et al.), but there were also many early parts manufacturers making chainwheels with artistic designs (e.g. Fonlupt, Solida, et al.). I would love to see more bike/parts manufacturers having a flare for more ornamentation which would provide more name recognition and advertising, as well as making a bike look cool, but without affecting function or weight. I'll forego the return of top tube tanks, fins, and other ornamentation that wasn't part of making the bike functional other than maybe having a (nearly useless) light on it.

Here are but a few that I have taken from frames, are still mounted, have as decoration in my shop (but possible future use), or are awaiting for installation. Please pardon some old (repeat) photos from my other posts.

50s-60s Capo (Austrian); 48T, 116mm BCD

40s (?) Chater-Lea (English); 27T, 116mm BCD, 1" pitch

30s Fonlupt (French); 46T, 50mm BCD

50s (?) BSA (English); 49T/46T, 50mm BCD

40s-60s (?) J.C. Higgins (Sears-Roebuck) (USA); 46T, swaged

30s Automoto (French); 46T, threaded hub

30s Mosca (Automoto?) (French); 45T threaded hub

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks for showing us those rings. I would like to use the Chater-Lea for my track bike. My chainwheel is 23T 1" pitch, but a 27T would be nice. If you are interested in selling please send me a message. I would need to obtain a crank set to mount it. Does it require a proprietary C-L spider design?
(04-21-2022, 12:44 PM)Jake1 Wrote:  Thanks for showing us those rings. I would like to use the Chater-Lea for my track bike. My chainwheel is 23T 1" pitch, but a 27T would be nice. If you are interested in selling please send me a message. I would need to obtain a crank set to mount it. Does it require a proprietary C-L spider design?

I may be selling the Chater-Lea ring if I can't use it since I will be moving in the future, and I'm starting to cut back on the inventory to avoid packing, hauling, and unpacking. I have a Royal Scot I was planning to use it on but have sinced scrapped the project (but not the bike!)
That ring can be used on any 3 arm 116mm BCD spider if it mounts properly. I don't think the crank/spider was Chater-Lea, only the ring.

Selling cost would not be exorbitant, but if I find it's pre WW2 (I can't verify a year) then it might be a bit higher. I doubt I will list on this site; but maybe. Usually, best to check craigslist northeast Florida if I advertise it. You can "pm" me any time with inquiries.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS