Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Froome decries use of TT bikes
Okay, let me have it; but I speak from experience and having done what I am about to suggest.
Froome has stated that TT bikes are less safe (essentially and primarily during training) and are less fair (not really if everyone can use them). Also, he wants to eliminate the need to race on gravel and cobbled surfaces.

I'll get to the racing surface first. I believe it is called road (definition: "a wide way leading from one place to another, especially one with a specially prepared surface which vehicles can use." Sounds like gravel ROADS, and cobbled ROADS fit the definition easily; no mention of safely or quickly!) racing so if performed on roads then there is no compromise as to the road's surface. If it is not what you consider a proper surface to race on then do not enter that event. You also have the option of going slow enough to traverse that specific surface and/or choose equipment that provides the best means to traverse that surface which brings me to my next point.

This would be what I call the "Tin Cup" practice of road racing. If you saw the movie, the protagonist resorts to using a 7 iron club to play a round of golf having already busted (intentionally) all of his other clubs.
I have raced on a single bicycle without changing gears ratios (front or rear) tire types or widths to complete any and every type of road racing event (climbing, gravel, cobbles, criteriums, cross, TT); that includes everything: saddles, handlebar, pedals, etc. Of course no SAG wagon so I'm carrying tubes/tires, and nourishment to boot (gee, sounds like early days of road racing). I believe that any road racing event should require the cyclist to use the same equipment (except to replace a damaged tube/tire, rim, component, and or frame with same) throughout and entire race, be it a one day or stage event. Sorry, but it you aren't trained to the conditions than you should not be able to choose a different piece of equipment be gearing, geometry, tires, etc. You can only change out damaged equipment. Isn't it enough that "professional" racers are coddled as it is. It you are properly trained to use your equipment and make the most intelligent choice as to what equipment will serve you best given the circumstances then I see that as a true level of professional knowledge. You adapt your equipment choice to take advantage of your strengths while at the same time trying to keep loss from your weaknesses to a minimum. That is something you have to do anyways even when you are able to tailor your equipment to a specific stage or racing surface; but without be able to do that you have to be much more broad minded in your thinking about your equipment and also your training surrounding those choices.
Maybe there could be an event where that is a mandatory rule. Let's just make it a 3 to 5 day event with sufficient level terrain and hills to include some gravel conditions, and one day of TT; but all on the same bike. If some amateur fool like myself could do it for no reward other than pride and passion, I would think a few pros would do it for the challenge to truthfully compare themselves to each other based on the knowledge of overall equipment needs and training to meet those needs, as well as earning some cash on the side. To me, old time racers from the 20s and earlier have a lot more to brag about than do 'modern' racers. I would love to have seen what they could have done on a modern bike; even one only 40 to 50 years removed from their heyday, nevermind the carbon frames with 100 gears of the past couple decades (remember when a "10 speed" road bike was called that based on front and rear gears?). Let the "Tin Cup Cycling Showdown" commence! As a note: I still think there should be a professional "drag" racing event; either as part of a stage race, or as its own 1 to 2 day event. Straight road, not track; 4 to 8 racers side by side for 500 meters, with top half moving to the next heat (or do they already have this for a road event?).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Honestly, I think his main argument is based on that the contour of the TT frames offers little to no support for the body (or balance) while the rider is entering a fatigued state, where stabilizing the body and balance can become increasingly difficult.

Honestly, I think this is the rider's responsibility to train enough to handle this, by use of any means of diverse training to do so.

I don't think TT bikes are intended for any use—except for Time Trails—on smooth roads.

https://cyclinguphill.com/difference-road-bike-time-trial-bike/

The fact that other riders are using them is purely by preference. For fairness, bike frames should probably not be mixed during a race. All hardware should be in the same style. We could never reasonably deprive race holders from allowing mixed bikes though. That's just unjust.

Hilarious though for someone to talk about safety and then do something like this.

[Image: chris-froome-descending.jpg]
(02-18-2022, 07:16 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Honestly, I think his main argument is based on that the contour of the TT frames offers little to no support for the body (or balance) while the rider is entering a fatigued state, where stabilizing the body and balance can become increasingly difficult.

Honestly, I think this is the rider's responsibility to train enough to handle this, by use of any means of diverse training to do so.

I don't think TT bikes are intended for any use—except for Time Trails—on smooth roads.

https://cyclinguphill.com/difference-road-bike-time-trial-bike/

The fact that other riders are using them is purely by preference. For fairness, bike frames should probably not be mixed during a race. All hardware should be in the same style. We could never reasonably deprive race holders from allowing mixed bikes though. That's just unjust.

Hilarious though for someone to talk about safety and then do something like this.

[Image: chris-froome-descending.jpg]

He is referring to safety during training and doing the training on the same style bike that you would normally race on. You must train on your TT bike to achieve proper efficacy while using it in a race; and that is where the danger is.
I don't have to worry about about traffic be it vehicular or pedestrian during a time trial; but in order to properly train for one it becomes a hazard, especially on a bike not designed for those conditions. The exact opposite occurs when using a criterium geometry frame which provides better handling to train on roads where vehicles and other obstacles more readily present themseleves during training. When I trained for TTs it was all out riding with no expectation to slow down except at the conclusion of the course. I still often ride that way while in traffic because at my age I don't want to waste energy speeding back up due to stopping. I attempt to perfectly time traffic lights while maintaining high speeds. In the now rare occassion that I TT train, I use a pace vehicle to not only chase after, but also provide a bit of warning for vehicles which now need to avoid a sizeable truck in their way keeping them from hitting me.
By the way, if in a UCI sanctioned race, you are not allowed to ride whatever you want. I now use a lo-pro frame (in non-sanctioned events) which I never did when they were legal; they have been banned for decades. When riding that bike I am only looking about 5 feet in front of me and steering is super twitchy; but again, it was not designed for riding in traffic, or on poorly maintained roads. Still a fun bike to ride and the aerodynamic advantage is palpable. If you have not ridden a TT bike at speed in traffic it is difficult to make a statement about how safe or unsafe they are. Same as if I were commenting on mtbs where I have very limited racing experience (1 race), and that was on a rigid frame. I would have no idea how much more or less safe I would be on a front or full suspension mtb until I utilized them under the same racing and/or trainig conditions. One reason why I could not comment on the rigid compared to suspension thread.
Mr. Froome has a vaild point; but given that when he's racing he will take advantage of whatever he can that is allowed, and so would I (I have sat on a bike the same way as he is in the photo before he was even born!).
I didn't have the cash to buy a specialized TT bike back in the day. Just like now I don't have that $ to purchase a specialized racing mtb, of course no real reason for it at my age, level of competition, or freqency of use. I'm sure my crappy 35yr old mtb will do just fine until I die, but I won't die from training around unpredictable obstacles. So far, no trees or rocks have veered unexpected into my way and run me off the course; only my poor riding to avoid what I knew was already there.

Safe riding to all, no matter what you ride, or what conitions you ride under.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post