Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

First Century
(10-12-2023, 03:00 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Haha, well-said meamoantonio. During my recent bikepacking trip, I neglected to wear padded biking shorts and during that period I had ridden some 170 miles over two days. By the third day, I was unable to sit on my saddle or ride standing up. I still had another 250+ miles to get to my destination. So, that pain in the butt was painful..:-(

Well, I don't even dare to do 40+ mile rides without my padded bike shorts. They're vital!

However, I've experienced and tested paddings of different quality - the thinnest, the thickest, the firmest. And it is easy for me to say that it's worth investing in proper padded bike shorts, with solid padding.
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
Hello Sagan97, so what paddings worked best for you? After a week or two of bike touring, I can wean my (self/butt) off of padded shorts but the beginning days or one-day biking definitely warrant the padded shorts.

I have stuck with my Pearl Izumi padded shorts. I haven't done much comparison other than without and with padded rides..:-)

(01-30-2024, 07:20 PM)Sagan97 Wrote:  
(10-12-2023, 03:00 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Haha, well-said meamoantonio. During my recent bikepacking trip, I neglected to wear padded biking shorts and during that period I had ridden some 170 miles over two days. By the third day, I was unable to sit on my saddle or ride standing up. I still had another 250+ miles to get to my destination. So, that pain in the butt was painful..:-(

Well, I don't even dare to do 40+ mile rides without my padded bike shorts. They're vital!

However, I've experienced and tested paddings of different quality - the thinnest, the thickest, the firmest. And it is easy for me to say that it's worth investing in proper padded bike shorts, with solid padding.
(01-30-2024, 07:27 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello Sagan97, so what paddings worked best for you? After a week or two of bike touring, I can wean my (self/butt) off of padded shorts but the beginning days or one-day biking definitely warrant the padded shorts.

I have stuck with my Pearl Izumi padded shorts. I haven't done much comparison other than without and with padded rides..:-)

(01-30-2024, 07:20 PM)Sagan97 Wrote:  

I find the saddle makes substantially more difference than having padded clothing (shorts, tights, pants, etc.). If I have not ridden for some time I break out the padded (thin padding) shorts, but my main thing is riding with a padded but firm saddle. I hate trying to break-in a Brooks saddle since they are fairly hard at the start and no spring suspension on the racing models. I use a padded cover with new Brooks since at 140 lbs it takes awhile to soften them (and similar style saddles) up to a point where I can ride them without a padded cover and no padding in my shorts.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS