Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

what is my bike worth?
I have a Panasonic Team 700 Custom- 1 of 9 made- with a PICS color scheme- manufacturing date unknown- in very good condition -I don't know what it's worth- any help would be appreciated- thank you    
(12-07-2021, 12:19 PM)joe arenella Wrote:  I have a Panasonic Team 700 Custom- 1 of 9 made- with a PICS color scheme- manufacturing date unknown- in very good condition -I don't know what it's worth- any help would be appreciated- thank you

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the forum. Nice bike! Value depends on a lot of factors, one being the area you may be trying to sell it in (are you selling?). X-large size (looks 64-66cm?; Panasonic made up to 70-72cm sized frames) reduces the value a little from a selling standpoint since it limits the amount of potential buyers out there (at least those who want to be able to ride it). Components make a big difference; high end original parts have best value; high end replacement parts next, and so forth. Tubing type will also determine value; lightweight butted highest, straight gauge "hi-ten" steel lowest. Looks like there is a tubing decal on the upper seat tube (what is the seat post diameter?). 27.2mm puts it in the higher grade tubing department. Post photos or list parts' makes/models (brakes, cranks, derailleurs, rims, bar, stem, post, shifters). You may be able to find date codes to help narrow a year on it if parts are original (Shimano has codes from about 1975/76 on; Sun Tour started theirs circa 1972). Looks to be late 80s, maybe even up to the early 90s (1988-1992?). Paint scheme is nice, but that is in the eyes of the beholder when dealing with bikes. I passed up on a pink Cinelli (and I regret it!) just because of the color.

My uneducated guess without knowing the component group and tubing type is about $300-$350ish. Parts and tubing (I would assume better stuff considering it is a "Team"/"Custom" model) could add another $100 to $200 (max $500-$600ish); I don't think we're talking in the thousands regardless, but I could be wrong since I am certainly not familiar with the model, only the brand. If you check ebay and find a similar model assume that the asking price (if not an auction item) is about 25% or more higher than fair market value since sellers have to account for ebay fees which are getting to be pretty high in the last couple of years.

you may find a catalog showing the exact bike; try https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/product-category/catalogs/ or Bulgier.net to see if they have any Panasonic cats.

Note: if trying to sell show photo of drive side of bike, and lower the handle bar back down so drops are about parallel with the ground.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
A quick Google search shows that others with this bike are asking $1,300 to $2,000.

Of course, even without this information I would tell you that collector's value and vintage suggest it can be worth whatever the heart desires. Your bike appears to be in pristine condition, so that's a definite plus. Finding a buyer though with such a keen interest is really the hard part.

Possibly, you should list it on a website like eBay, where it can get a lot of exposure. From there, packing and shipping the bike is the hard part, especially to preserve the condition that your bike is in.
Unfortunately, I still cannot provide a true fair market value based on a non-drive side view. Online ads are not a viable method for appraising a bike's true value. Sales prices, asking prices, etc. are not value guides due to seller's skewing of prices. A "what should I ask for it" amount is substantially different than "what is it worth" with the latter being the lesser amount. We need factual data to determine value, or it is absolute guess work based on a model and paint job which is insufficient for a true appraisal. You are dealing with a very large mass producing bike manufacturer, and a model that was made for multiple years. Is it signed or marked by the builder (probably not for a factory bike)? Is there an owner's name on it (they did that on these frames)?
Take care,
Jesper

From what I gathered the PICS option was availble in 1988-89, maybe earlier than '88 and later than '89. I would add $100-$200 to my estimate if Tange Prestige tubing (their best product except the Prestige "superlight" used for track/tt) as seen on an example. The model I saw had internal top tube brake cable routing, and internal downtube shift cable routing (top mounted shifters) unlike the exposed cables on your frame. I would certainly add value to a frame with the hidden cables; and assume it to be a newer model and/or an optional choice upon ordering. I would not know how it is determined how many of a particular paint scheme were made since it was a buyer's choice; I guess Panasonic has/had records that may be referred to.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post