Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Electric Bike Safety Tips
Hello Ximen here, I just bought an electric bike for my 10 year old kid, please anyone here who can help me how to ride an electric bike safely so i can guide my kid safety tips.
Don't have one of these, but I think in general terms, there's only going to be so much you can do.

You can try telling your child to rely on the electronic motor as little as possible—like only when it's desperately needed.

But likely, your child is going to zoom the auto-drive on the bike like it's a scooter.

Ask your local bike shop if they can tune down the assist power to limit the max speed of the bike.
First prepare a helmet, and bike lights because these are very necessary equipment when cycling. Pay attention to the brakes and speed when riding an e-bike. In addition, teach your child how to signal on the bikehow to signal on the bike. Learning to signal is essential for your safety on the road.
It is no different than riding a standard bicycle. Same rules apply. Nothing special needed to ride safely with motor assist unless the user has muscle-motor function issues.
Same rules as a regular bike.
One needs to be familiar with how to properly brake a bicycle at a speed that is much higher than most average people tend to cycle at. Higher speed, heavier bike, and different style brakes (rim, disc, drum, etc.) require different techniques and like anything a familiarization of their performance characteristics. A lot of people out there are buying bikes that can go over 30 mph who have never gone over 15 mph except maybe down hill. Too many people do not even know how to properly use braking on a standard bike. Most think that their rear brake is the safest and best method of braking, and do not realize that the front brake is the workhorse for properly slowing a bike safely and quickly.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...