Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

I think I might of been a little too hasty 1997 Trek 720 Multitrack
Lightbulb 
Hi guys this is my first post as a member on here and hope I can get a little advice ,,, anyway , I wasn't very well last few years with a surprise brain tumour we got that sucker out ok an im still alive and kicking but ive been wanting to set off on a bit of adventure to gather myself now that im fit enough .
So I been looking online at advice at touring bikes and noticed that the Trek 720 was mentioned as a good option to set up as a touring bike , well my brain being the way it it I bought a like new Trek 720 Multitrack , I later notice that the actual bike I wanted was the touring model , realising my mistake my question to you guys is , do you think it was a total waste of money ?Ive noticed that some people have said that the Trek 720 Multitrack has the same geometry as the Trek 520 touring bike thats not too bad performer , im hoping to be able to salvage this 720 as it hasn't got a scratch on her and maybe update a few parts towards being more like the 520 ??Any advice would be greatly appreciated , hope everybody is healthy , happy an safe best regards from Belfast Ireland !!!
(05-08-2021, 05:10 AM)Frankie Belfast Wrote:  Hi guys this is my first post as a member on here and hope I can get a little advice ,,, anyway , I wasn't very well last few years with a surprise brain tumour we got that sucker out ok an im still alive and kicking but ive been wanting to set off on a bit of adventure to gather myself now that im fit enough .
So I been looking online at advice at touring bikes and noticed that the Trek 720 was mentioned as a good option to set up as a touring bike , well my brain being the way it it I bought a like new Trek 720 Multitrack , I later notice that the actual bike I wanted was the touring model , realising my mistake my question to you guys is , do you think it was a total waste of money ?Ive noticed that some people have said that the Trek 720 Multitrack has the same geometry as the Trek 520 touring bike thats not too bad performer , im hoping to be able to salvage this 720 as it hasn't got a scratch on her and maybe update a few parts towards being more like the 520 ??Any advice would be greatly appreciated , hope everybody is healthy , happy an safe best regards from Belfast Ireland !!!

Hi Frankie,

Welcome from Florida, USA. Glad you are doing OK!
I am basing my comments on early (mid 80s-90s) Trek touring frames so they might not apply specifically to your situation. I would have to look at the frame geometry for those 2 bikes (for a given model year) as I am not the most familiar with those models having only had a Trek 660 (race frame) from '84. Both the 520 and 720 are/were dedicated touring frames, and the 720 is/was (I believe) the cream of the crop depending on the specific model year. You definitely have the better of the 2 frames (pretty certain that the 720 used a Reynolds 531 "touring" tubeset variant; unknown what the 520 had, but definitely not "531" tubing). The 720 would have been fitted with a better component group than the 520, so I would not worry about trying to make it into a "520" (if you had a 520 bike you would want to upgrade it to have 720 parts). You should be able to look those bikes up in a Trek catalog; Treks are fairly well documented online. I believe one of the biggest differences will between a 520 and 720 (aside from frame tubing) would be the actual gearing and maybe some frame features (braze-ons, etc.). I would not think that you would have to change much in regards to components if the present group functions okay. A touring frame will generally have a more robust frame construction given the potential of the load it might carry aside from the different geometry. Both the 520 and 720 frames would have longer chainstays allowing for more pannier clearance over a racing oriented frame.

Have you ridden it yet? If it is comfortable to ride for the amount of miles you expect to use it for then I wouldn't change anything other than gearing (and worn out parts) if needed for your specific terrain. If the fit is good overall, you may just need to change the handlebar stem and/or crank lengths to size it more appropriately to your body and needs; and maybe get a saddle that you prefer over the one that is presently installed.

If you don't know the model year, you may be able to determine it from date codes on the components (if they are original); that should get you to within a year of the model year. The serial number should also tell you what year it was manufactured, but it might be made the year prior to the actual model year shown in a catalog (e.g. serial # from 1985 manufacture, but bike description [color, tubing, components, etc] match the '86 catalog).

I am sure you have gotten a decent bike, just don't know if it is what you wanted.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS