Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Big Basso, Tiny Colnago
Just had a Basso frame out for building and decided to juxtapose it against a small Colnago bike. 49-50cm Colnago "Super", 64cm Basso "Gap".

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
sweet, nice juxtapose! I assume you'll ride neither of them haha

64cm frame must be for someone > 6'5"?
(01-26-2021, 02:43 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  sweet, nice juxtapose! I assume you'll ride neither of them haha

64cm frame must be for someone > 6'5"?

I cannot ride the 64cm frame except for a basic test ride without saddle and post; something I had to do with a 66cm frame that I had built for someone a couple years back. The stem on the Colnago would be more fitting for me if riding that Basso frame since it is only 60mm. Changing it to a 120-130mm after some riding on it with it as purchased; felt a little cramped. I would use the Basso stem, but the customer wants it.

The photo was somewhat unintentional; I realized after putting the Basso next to the small bike that it looked as big as the Colnago even without wheels!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(01-27-2021, 05:14 AM)Criminal Wrote:  I cannot ride the 64cm frame except for a basic test ride without saddle and post; something I had to do with a 66cm frame that I had built for someone a couple years back. The stem on the Colnago would be more fitting for me if riding that Basso frame since it is only 60mm. Changing it to a 120-130mm after some riding on it with it as purchased; felt a little cramped. I would use the Basso stem, but the customer wants it.

what's the largest frame you have worked with?
(01-23-2021, 08:11 PM)Criminal Wrote:  Just had a Basso frame out for building and decided to juxtapose it against a small Colnago bike. 49-50cm Colnago "Super", 64cm Basso "Gap".

Hi Criminal,
here's a comment from Robert via our Facebook page:

"Wow, That head tube must have its own Zipcode! ha"
(01-31-2021, 06:10 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(01-27-2021, 05:14 AM)Criminal Wrote:  I cannot ride the 64cm frame except for a basic test ride without saddle and post; something I had to do with a 66cm frame that I had built for someone a couple years back. The stem on the Colnago would be more fitting for me if riding that Basso frame since it is only 60mm. Changing it to a 120-130mm after some riding on it with it as purchased; felt a little cramped. I would use the Basso stem, but the customer wants it.

what's the largest frame you have worked with?

Largest known frame was a 66cm (measured). I may have built up a larger one, but I may not have measured it if doing a modification for a frame already owned by the customer. I generally do not have buyers that tall so large frames tend to be around 60cm, which I prefer since I can do a proper test ride on them still using a saddle. 46 cm is the smallest full size frame I've worked on and ridden; a wee bit cramped on that one.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(02-01-2021, 02:37 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  
(01-23-2021, 08:11 PM)Criminal Wrote:  Just had a Basso frame out for building and decided to juxtapose it against a small Colnago bike. 49-50cm Colnago "Super", 64cm Basso "Gap".

Hi Criminal,

This Panasonic frame's headtube has its own country code. I believe it is a 70-72 cm compared to the 52-53 cm frame it is pictured with. Neither bike is mine; just adding to the mix of big vs. little.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-07-2021, 09:03 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Hi Criminal,

This Panasonic frame's headtube has its own country code. I believe it is a 70-72 cm compared to the 52-53 cm frame it is pictured with. Neither bike is mine; just adding to the mix of big vs. little.

70-72cm Japanese frame? is it made specifically for NBA centers and forwards?
(04-26-2021, 05:59 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(04-07-2021, 09:03 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Hi Criminal,

70-72cm Japanese frame? is it made specifically for NBA centers and forwards?

It is odd since Panasonic regularly spec'd 27"-28"/69cm-71cm frames in their catalogs in the '80s. Yeah, must have been cycling basketball teams that needed them!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Take care,
Jesper

My smallest frame, a 2012 Soma Mini Velo with a few changes...

I was riding this bicycle when I jumped a curb to prevent a head on collision with Ford Flex that was on the wrong side of the road, they hit my back wheel and I crashed hard enough to fracture my pelvic bone in three places September 28th. Unfortunately they left the scene, (hit and run) no plates on front of car, and I did not see the car's plate as I lay on the ground.

I visited the doctor again today, the bone is about 40% knitted and I "hope" to start spinning the pedals the first part of February...

Last year in Portland area - August 2020

My Trycolour Basso

(12-22-2021, 01:50 AM)JR Namida Wrote:  My Trycolour Basso

The Basso image did not upload in last posting

(12-22-2021, 01:50 AM)JR Namida Wrote:  My smallest frame, a 2012 Soma Mini Velo with a few changes...

I was riding this bicycle when I jumped a curb to prevent a head on collision with Ford Flex that was on the wrong side of the road, they hit my back wheel and I crashed hard enough to fracture my pelvic bone in three places September 28th. Unfortunately they left the scene, (hit and run) no plates on front of car, and I did not see the car's plate as I lay on the ground.

I visited the doctor again today, the bone is about 40% knitted and I "hope" to start spinning the pedals the first part of February...

Last year in Portland area - August 2020

My Trycolour Basso

The Basso image did not upload in last posting
You had me grinning upon seeing the bike; at a glance it looks like a very large frame.
Sorry to hear of your "accident"! You can only do so much to avoid drivers who have no regard for others; be they motorized or not.

Nice looking Basso; I do have an old Gap model that I ride, but more my size.
Take care,
Jesper

I used to ride a GT Talera L frame, which was like a 21" or something. It felt like getting up into a jet fighter.

I thought it was kinda cool, but really loathed having to stand over the frame at a stop.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's a great looking Basso! Rolleyes What size is it?
"Carbon is faster"
My Trycolour Basso is 59 cm when measured from center of crank to top of seatpost. I am 6 feet 4 inches tall...