Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

NewBikeShopper (intro & opinion request)

Hello Forum, nice to virtually meet everyone,

My bike was stolen last week (pics attached, Ultegra setup), it was an older ride but many hours in the saddle and personal customizations make it difficult to let go.

I’m trying to replace it as soon as possible, hard to do with everything out of stock due to the pandemic, opinions & recommendations are greatly appreciated (so far narrowed it down to 3 frame options below):

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs. I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be. My approach is to research a ton, invest wisely in the best, take very good care of it and keep for 10+ years.

Here’s the rub, I’ve tested the Emonda and I can ride away with it this weekend (from a shop I've never worked with before). Because of the industry’s supply & demand issues, the Pinarello and Colnago are anywhere from 4-8 months wait (from a shop owner I've trusted for years), however, he doesn't have anything in my size right now to test ride and I’ve never been on an Italian frame before.

- Trek Emonda SLR OCLV 800 (size 56)
- Pinarello Dogma F12 (size 54)
- Colgnago C64 (size TBD)

And since I've been away from the technology for so long:

- Carbon Wheelset recommendations?
- Dura Ace or Ultegra to save a few bucks?
- Disc or Rim brakes?
- Tubeless or Clinchers?
- Tire Width?
- SpeedPlay or Shimano pedals?

Thank you in advance!
Hello!
How far did you get in the process? I will express my opinion or preference, a couple of things:

- as far as I know, SpeedPlay pedals are lighter and that's their selling point; I prefer Shimano clipless
- me (and many others) are moving towards wider tires and that's a trend in the road bike market, it means 25mm and wider; my road bike has 28mm tires and it's a nice balance for daily rides
- I prefer good old clinchers
- I'm not one of those "disc brakes don't belong in road ctycling" guys and both are fine; I still ride with rim brakes and have tested disc brakes on a road bike as well ... strong braking power, I had to adapt on downhills
- DuraAce is a status, in my opinion, Ultegra has served me very well over the years and has saved me $
Focus Mares AL 105
(01-18-2021, 02:58 PM)Henry_G Wrote:  Hello!
How far did you get in the process? I will express my opinion or preference, a couple of things:

- as far as I know, SpeedPlay pedals are lighter and that's their selling point; I prefer Shimano clipless
- me (and many others) are moving towards wider tires and that's a trend in the road bike market, it means 25mm and wider; my road bike has 28mm tires and it's a nice balance for daily rides
- I prefer good old clinchers
- I'm not one of those "disc brakes don't belong in road cycling" guys and both are fine; I still ride with rim brakes and have tested disc brakes on a road bike as well ... strong braking power, I had to adapt on downhills
- DuraAce is a status, in my opinion, Ultegra has served me very well over the years and has saved me $

I agree with everything you say Henry. I still use old LOOK pedals though because all my shoes are set up for it except a pair for SPDs on the offroad rides. I too have gone to riding much wider tires (28-30) for general riding and training. It makes getting on the bikes that have the 19-23mm tires feel like there is nothing touching the ground after riding those wider tires; but the comfort factor cannot be beat!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Last Post: rawhide1