Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cold toes during long bike rides
Hey.
I have had these Shimano MTB shoes SH-M065L for >5 years and they have been nothing but great. I do both road and mountain biking with them together with m520 pedals. There is one but - they are on the small size. It's alright during spring-summer-autumn rides when the temperature does not hit below +5C/23F. It can feel tight after >50km yet it's not too uncomfortable - I can deal with it. However, during cold and long rides my both big toes become almost numb.

Shoes are EU 45, US 10.5, 28.5cm. Getting shoes of a larger size, 45.5 EU at least, would be the easy option. But I'm posting here to hear out your thoughts and ideas - are there any tricks out there to keep big toes comfortable? On the other hand, >5 years is a long time and perhaps it's time to try out new shoes
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(12-20-2020, 10:14 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey.
I have had these Shimano MTB shoes SH-M065L for >5 years and they have been nothing but great. I do both road and mountain biking with them together with m520 pedals. There is one but - they are on the small size. It's alright during spring-summer-autumn rides when the temperature does not hit below +5C/23F. It can feel tight after >50km yet it's not too uncomfortable - I can deal with it. However, during cold and long rides my both big toes become almost numb.

Shoes are EU 45, US 10.5, 28.5cm. Getting shoes of a larger size, 45.5 EU at least, would be the easy option. But I'm posting here to hear out your thoughts and ideas - are there any tricks out there to keep big toes comfortable? On the other hand, >5 years is a long time and perhaps it's time to try out new shoes

I have had the same problem with a pair of shoes I knowingly bought slightly tight thinking they would stretch a little (I am used to full leather lace up shoes) over time. 5 years and still tight, sometimes a little numb at the toes. Fortunately, they have nearly fallen apart (ratchet mech, straps; I hate straps!) and I'm riding a size larger just for more width (not length) at the toe. All my old leather shoes still fit well and can be stretched in specific areas for comfort. Granted your toes will get cold even with proper fit shoes; just less so or not as quickly given good blood circulation. Hard to wear thicker socks if shoes are tight already; try shoe covers or one trick for "clipless" pedals: use some self-adhering thin weatherstrip foam rubber sealant and cover the toes of the shoes. It easily peels off. If you have drainage/vent holes on the soles cover them up during cold weather. I also have a pair of black (warmer in the sun) shoes with no vents or mesh that are much better for cold weather than my "summer" shoes which are mesh and white color. My old leathers are for toe clip riding and covers, etc. do not work so I wear oversized (1/2 size more euro) enough to use heavier socks or 2 pairs of socks. I also find laced shoes allow you to spread out the pressure when tightening for wearing; whereas straps are tight (too tight?!) only at the spot of the strap. You can try to order wider shoes, but they seem harder to find unlike regular street shoes where choice of width is more often an option.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Hey Criminal.
Thank you for your reply and useful tips. 'Too tight straps' is something to consider - I typically strap them really tight. I have also been looking at waterproof shoe covers these days both for commuting and training rides. I am looking at Shimano but perhaps you know some quality alternatives?

p.s.
I forgot to mention that my regular shoe size is EU 44.5-45 or 10-10.5 US, which means that I did not follow the +1 size rule when buying these shoes.
(12-24-2020, 09:20 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey Criminal.
Thank you for your reply and useful tips. 'Too tight straps' is something to consider - I typically strap them really tight. I have also been looking at waterproof shoe covers these days both for commuting and training rides. I am looking at Shimano but perhaps you know some quality alternatives?

p.s.
I forgot to mention that my regular shoe size is EU 44.5-45 or 10-10.5 US, which means that I did not follow the +1 size rule when buying these shoes.

Too tight is not too good; maybe in pursuit/track or short hard rides. Another reason why I prefer lace-ups; I can tighten up shoes pretty good, but they do not feel uncomfortable. I have 4 pairs of modern road shoes (all 2-3 strap design; SIDI, DUEGI, CARNAC): 42.5 & 43 for thin socks, 43.5 & 44 for thick and double socks. I need to check what type of covers (for clipless) I have, they are old and not worn much due to climate. All my leather shoes (SIDI, COLNAGO, DETTO PIETRO for toe clips) and MTB shoes (Shimano SPD) are lace-up; much more comfortable, and no numb toes.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(12-24-2020, 09:20 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  I have also been looking at waterproof shoe covers these days both for commuting and training rides. I am looking at Shimano but perhaps you know some quality alternatives?

I have SEB shoe covers, very old; not sure if they make them anymore.

Edit: eBay has them: SEB cover shoe; $30-60 USD, 1 to 3 pair lots. Shipping out of Italia.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(12-26-2020, 06:39 PM)Criminal Wrote:  
(12-24-2020, 09:20 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  I have also been looking at waterproof shoe covers these days both for commuting and training rides. I am looking at Shimano but perhaps you know some quality alternatives?

I have SEB shoe covers, very old; not sure if they make them anymore.

Edit: eBay has them: SEB cover shoe; $30-60 USD, 1 to 3 pair lots. Shipping out of Italia.

Cool, thanks a lot for the tip - will check out those SEB covers!

I'm in Europe, so this will be more convenient.
Hi Zviedrs:

I have had the same issue over the years. There are several potential causes and contributing factors: some mechanical and some physiologic. Certainly too small is a major mechanical factor made worse in the cold weather where cold air past toes that already have decreased perfusion from excessively tight shoes will almost certainly cause them to go numb. If this didn't happen initially, then another contributing factor is that as we age, your shoe size changes, one also looses some of the fat within the foot that normally cushions the vessel and nerves. So consider finding new shoes or even a different brand as differing brands fit differently. I developed the same issue in my Sidis after literally decades using Sidis. Switched to Giro and problem instantly solved! Toes covers are also very useful in cold weather riding, especially in damp environments. I never cycle below 50F without them. Also, paradoxically, wearing a warmer hat under your helmet will preserve body heat. Your body globally responds to cold environments, constricting all peripheral capillary beds when feeling cold in order to preserve are body temp. Finally, I have both Shamino pedals as well as Keo's. There are those you feel a broader foot plate under the show is better by distributing the force more broadly under the tarsal bones. I much prefer riding with Keos over long distances. Suggest starting with new shoes, including a complete foot size and volume assessment. Throw in some shoe covers as well.
JJD
(12-20-2020, 12:08 PM)Criminal Wrote:  
(12-20-2020, 10:14 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey.

I have had the same problem with a pair of shoes I knowingly bought slightly tight thinking they would stretch a little (I am used to full leather lace up shoes) over time. 5 years and still tight, sometimes a little numb at the toes. Fortunately, they have nearly fallen apart (ratchet mech, straps; I hate straps!) and I'm riding a size larger just for more width (not length) at the toe. All my old leather shoes still fit well and can be stretched in specific areas for comfort. Granted your toes will get cold even with proper fit shoes; just less so or not as quickly given good blood circulation. Hard to wear thicker socks if shoes are tight already; try shoe covers or one trick for "clipless" pedals: use some self-adhering thin weatherstrip foam rubber sealant and cover the toes of the shoes. It easily peels off. If you have drainage/vent holes on the soles cover them up during cold weather. I also have a pair of black (warmer in the sun) shoes with no vents or mesh that are much better for cold weather than my "summer" shoes which are mesh and white color. My old leathers are for toe clip riding and covers, etc. do not work so I wear oversized (1/2 size more euro) enough to use heavier socks or 2 pairs of socks. I also find laced shoes allow you to spread out the pressure when tightening for wearing; whereas straps are tight (too tight?!) only at the spot of the strap. You can try to order wider shoes, but they seem harder to find unlike regular street shoes where choice of width is more often an option.
I purchase some shoe covers/acutually boots to over my shoes. HEAVEN on earth. Toes warm!!
While browsing for other items I have seen many shoe cover variants at economical pricing USD $8-$15 a pair. I cannot vouch for how well they work given specific temperature ranges nor quality of manufacture and durability.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-Windproof-Waterproof-Softshell-Shoes-Cover-Cold-Protect/123241774220?hash=item1cb1c83c8c:g:G6EAAOSwbVNbQx8O

https://pulsar.ebay.com/plsr/clk/0/SADS/9?pld=%7B%22ampid%22%3A%22PL_CLK%22%2C%22enc%22%3A%22AQAFAAAD0HJ28g5bnk%2BpLw2nR​jadW%2Fm%2FE9KkQtQzSN0bSL0ihPiWRTNaq6fVc346WjCeWbW7ZrA39DHZPVGfgNS3WLNOgi9qikgtt​o1Ll6DjpK2phg0spz1I6%2FYdQPqWcGFWG%2BK54jil1mBR%2BJTkoUxDEFOGl5j0sLFC4%2BVkcjHsa​OWXdk8yTL7cUtc9WVuupbIe%2BNaZLPkHkgdXoxE8NilJryMSW2J51%2Bxf%2Bvp5nhrVlnfu5ZOiH9n​i5MvQcuCIU0WiQbTXr%2FFDK3MsgKeVk5BnK%2FHaJLdFPi8YJGjf9Yf7iF1G3pBVx4JX8WN7tyg9Ebr​jIfSDCgffgU4Ea4owkdo%2BANvj7cpz0MuJozQshifW5oGKRo%2B52MTx4PO6iGp8ycSRNEvFFV9MJC3​HqNcVb4jIBZgEh0lDUpjpYleuE7tIC0KvaC0kpmFiIxkO9RDf05BPtxY6jylDw%2FKbzGtPaU6YqBt1a​CL%2BtSj%2B3OcRct3NootRYyCPz3sNkqyT%2F8tKOewFDZsy0ArJVyuzaNm8J7%2BymcNI2z2TY8Wrk​d30LYWEmVrlxfVkDPoWml%2Fyas%2F1CwpS7rSOKynMH5YDKM%2B1cVxDzQJzSygMN1gXZAaHc3ex9bO​dwnLEMwhvLjEKh4cxkBlUfoH9pvbKsik5lNwZRA5hCPjkMkRILtr%2B17tc%2BGgLKEO3yiwXE2N68Dx​q3CAWULyp9KxDlA6T8nyxc%2FimFu7t2VWGVrSM2%2BG4eB85McOO%2FfDDzSMwq43LJXv9R2gyJtt2T​W%2BwKIoufhdhurPbVPLJtux0FB2%2B0D2lqwO%2Fm4gMtu%2BuzaAzj6ppovOqvF52Ap8SWvBGikPqF​FoNiHV8RlEJxYCRR3KFb7GeRlhcap83cib5iCN5xcrSXb%2BuwK3Jjs%2BZ7I8rc39ctRAB3EVGM7I4Y​zsZ7j4gi4eZnZ6tqYMWfQ6DPuzSe9K1zRV2mTD%2B2a0yEWBd8ulvQZqPa76sOVJFH2FvcPawXYSa5o8​s0yjArR7%2F7Q8vB8jaL6t1nZ9ORVsVpLVQcabC6B7DsxgKezjBXdmuLSaL7fs9mmLEnw6f2mADwmbih​YlFwtAeInvUaRhAhsSi5MU22wAXLYm%2FsxVCGxN%2FeR5Whyru3oFfw%2Bi63j368wMw9LVaVDR1fHF​fxgrGj%2Fb1Ll03L3b7YwHKpAUN3sMnznCXLETYxNXZS5q9%2Fqrm%2BK8PJ6wRdaI4dDS5s%2FRuohx​%2FdG86BILTA7s14BPpZHsyOpm%2FgMCaQznAoDqNmFs0Tp4VZk34cSERnuiBHsHfdEjudeKXNJvwvU7​Kr7Ry2tE3cvo%3D%22%2C%22mecs%22%3A%22293247136510be26c9786f1f4e62898e5827f390420​b%22%7D
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Sounds also like you could be iron deficient.

Please check into that and never forget to mind your macros and your micronutrients.
(12-13-2021, 12:45 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Sounds also like you could be iron deficient.

Please check into that and never forget to mind your macros and your micronutrients.

Good point - I should do my blood tests. If one is a vegetarian, how do you increase your iron level - beans, lentils, spinach?
You need to take a multi-vitamin. Centrum Adults is one of the only ones that contains iron. I take 1/2 three times a day typically.

The only foods that come close to being able to bridge the iron gap are actually cereals.

Life cereal, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Cream of Wheat
I ride in shimano sandals all year, no socks in the summer, late fall, and early spring I wear socks, but for winter riding rain gear boots has been tried, unsuccessfully.

PEARL iZUMi P.R.O. AmFIB Toe Covers looked promising, but they needed to be a bit larger for the sandals - Shimano SH-SD65 3 strap Cycling Sandals.

I use sandals because of an odd hammer toe and the three strap units do not touch it, all the two straps sandals I have tried hit/rub the toe. I keep purchasing them as they appear on eBay, because shimano discontinued them years ago...

But would like to find some warm wide toe covers with clip openings for my Crankbrothers Candy Pedals. Yes I do use the same Candy pedals on my KBO Hurricane eBike...

A former semi-pro rider recently told me that buying winter cycling shoes was this year's best decision. "Where was I before?" He had been using shoe covers for years and now switched to winter shoes.
"Carbon is faster"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Last Post: AndrewB