Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

need to get heart healthy
I'm a grandma nanny to 5 grandkids and I just gave my step thru to the oldest granddaughter...half of my shed is bike storage for the grandkids and their parents and of course grandpa so I would love a bike for someone 4'11'' and 62 yrs old!
(11-13-2020, 03:30 AM)Theresa Jenkins Wrote:  I'm a grandma nanny to 5 grandkids and I just gave my step thru to the oldest granddaughter...half of my shed is bike storage for the grandkids and their parents and of course grandpa so I would love a bike for someone 4'11'' and 62 yrs old!

Hi Theresa,

Welcome!
I would think that you should get some good recommendations here. Frame size and fit are more important over "looks" and the "special features". I won't comment on your age since you may very well be in better shape than myself. Probably your biggest factor will be your physical status regarding injuries, or other conditions that may affect your riding style and posture when deciding on the bike type and also the general terrain (pavement, dirt trails, etc) that you expect to be riding on. My coworker (about 60 yrs old) bought a mountain bike with suspension and disc brakes for about $700. She loved the bike, but it got stolen from her garage. Now I'm helping her get another bike as comfortable to ride, but without those features not needed due to her riding habits. She was "sold" her new bike, but I'll find her something more fitting to her needs at a lot lower cost new or used.
My best advice is to try to take a potential bike purchase for a thorough test ride to make sure you are comfortable and feel at ease with its operation.
So many decent bikes from various brands makes it hard to choose. I again I stress fit and comfort; neither has much to do with cost since a cheaper bike that fits and feels comfortable will be more enjoyable than a more expensive bike that does not fit you correctly. I would advise going to a reputable bike shop and having them give you a basic "fitting" to determine frame size. Some shops will do this for free, others may charge a small fee. Another option is to hop on one of those shed bikes that is ridden by someone in your family of approximately the same height/size as yourself, and get an idea how you feel on it. If your old step-through frame was perfect for you before you handed it off to your granddaughter, you have the perfect example of what you need to buy, unless you feel the need for a different style due to your present physical condition, and/terrain. Many shops have loaner bikes for you to try also. Do not rush this purchase, take your time, try a couple different bike types (roadsters, cruisers, mountain, hybrid, road, etc., or a combination thereof) in your size to see what seems best. You'll be happier in the long run. Be advised that a saddle can make or break a bike's comfort and is something that is readily changed at low or no extra cost; ask the shop if they allow for you to get a different saddle from the one fitted; if a used bike bought from a private party, you're stuck with that saddle, but change it if it doesn't feel right. I built a bike for my 60 yr old friend and it took me 3 saddles to make him comfortable; he loves the bike with his final choice ("Cloud 9" brand by the way).
Regardless of what you get, I hope you can get out and enjoy biking with the family.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS