Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

90's Raleigh R600
My local bike shop has a mid 90's Raleigh R600 bike for sale. They took it in on trade. It's been tuned up and it's ready to ride. It has new tires, brakes, chain, cables, bar tape, etc. They are asking $324 for it. The pictures look really nice for the age. I like the old school aluminum frame. I'll be checking it out in person this week. I think it has Shimano 105 components. The bike shop has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I understand I'll be paying more from a shop vs private party, but I like that a trained mechanic has gone through it 100%. If I bought something similar off craigslist I'd be paying $100 or so for a full tune up anyways. Anybody here have any experience with this bike? Here's a link: https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/product/raleigh-r600-57cm-51906.htm
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
I have never encountered one but it looks like a very good value-for-money deal, especially with the full Shimano 105 groupset. the fork might be too stiff for some riders - depends on your preference. your LBS should list the components, would have been nice.
(09-20-2020, 07:22 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  I have never encountered one but it looks like a very good value-for-money deal, especially with the full Shimano 105 groupset. the fork might be too stiff for some riders - depends on your preference. your LBS should list the components, would have been nice.

I agree. It would have been nice if the components were listed. The google machine tells me it's 105SC. The size is questionable too. Raleigh R600's came in 56 or 58 cm in the mid 90's. I'll have to get it fitted for me to see if it is the right size or not.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Hi Justin!
BikeRide community member Robert has made a comment via Facebook: "If you like the bicycle and it is a fit and totally ready to ride with after purchase support a plus. and in your price range, go for it. One note though hard to tell from the picture, the rear derailluer does not look like the 105 group. It looks like a 2300 series, a downgrade but not a deal breaker."
(09-20-2020, 11:44 AM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hi Justin!
BikeRide community member Robert has made a comment via Facebook: "If you like the bicycle and it is a fit and totally ready to ride with after purchase support a plus. and in your price range, go for it. One note though hard to tell from the picture, the rear derailluer does not look like the 105 group. It looks like a 2300 series, a downgrade but not a deal breaker."

Good observation.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Update: I picked up the bike today. I was happy that it was actually a 56cm size. That's what I was hoping for. There was a faded sticker on the frame that verified it. The frame is in great condition. The red pops more in the sunlight than I was anticipating. It does indeed have the Shimano 2300 drivetrain. It shifts well. All in all I'm glad I purchased it. It feels so good to have a road bike again. I only spent 6 months without one, but that was long enough.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
It seems odd that the bike shop which thoroughly serviced and inspected the bike didn't even know what the size was even though it was clearly shown on the frame. Also, odd that a bike shop would use 2 different inner tubes one having a stem designed for deep aero rims. They should both at least have had the same length stems; makes me think that they used whatever was handy (new or used?) at the moment. Having an unconditional 30 day return certainly helps. I would still verify that everything is properly assembled and functioning, and take a short test ride before taking it out for the long ride.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(09-25-2020, 12:54 AM)Jesper Wrote:  It seems odd that the bike shop which thoroughly serviced and inspected the bike didn't even know what the size was even though it was clearly shown on the frame. Also, odd that a bike shop would use 2 different inner tubes one having a stem designed for deep aero rims. They should both at least have had the same length stems; makes me think that they used whatever was handy (new or used?) at the moment. Having an unconditional 30 day return certainly helps. I would still verify that everything is properly assembled and functioning, and take a short test ride before taking it out for the long ride.

All good points. I tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt unless they show me otherwise. The frame size could have been a simple typo on the website. The inner tube stem size doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm way more concerned about function than form. I do plan a good couple of test rides coming up to make sure everything is good.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(09-25-2020, 08:11 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  All good points. I tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt unless they show me otherwise. The frame size could have been a simple typo on the website. The inner tube stem size doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm way more concerned about function than form. I do plan a good couple of test rides coming up to make sure everything is good.

hi Justin. have you done test rides already?
(10-15-2020, 04:51 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(09-25-2020, 08:11 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  All good points. I tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt unless they show me otherwise. The frame size could have been a simple typo on the website. The inner tube stem size doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm way more concerned about function than form. I do plan a good couple of test rides coming up to make sure everything is good.

hi Justin. have you done test rides already?

Since my last post I've been riding the Raleigh about 60 miles per week. Everything is solid. For a "budget bike" I'm very pleased. I'll likely keep this for a couple of years before I spend serious coin on a newer ride.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(10-15-2020, 10:02 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  Since my last post I've been riding the Raleigh about 60 miles per week. Everything is solid. For a "budget bike" I'm very pleased. I'll likely keep this for a couple of years before I spend serious coin on a newer ride.

thank you for the update, good to know. as I wrote it before, it sure looks like a good value-for-money deal that will bring joy for months/years to come.