Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What type of Bicycle lock do you think is best?
Combination Lock Style
0%
Keyed Lock Style
100.00%
This poll has expired - it is no longer possible to vote.
3 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Some Questions for The Pros
I have a pretty basic idea of what I am about to list are, but I wanted to see how many here have heard of these tools.

Derailleur-Hanger alignment tool
Head tube reaming and facing tool
Cog wear indicator
Bottom-Bracket tap and facer
Dropout alignment tool
Freehub Buddy <---- this one kind of didn't make any sense but ??
Mavic Hub pin spanner?
splined pedal spindle removal tool (say that 5 times fast lol)

Also wanted to add a small tin (like what Sucrets come in) with a magnet on the bottom of it makes a great ball bearing holder. Magnet is optional.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-25-2009, 05:12 PM)Bill Wrote:  I have a pretty basic idea of what I am about to list are, but I wanted to see how many here have heard of these tools.

Derailleur-Hanger alignment tool
Yes - long tool that fits in the hanger and runs round the wheel rim to check & adjust alignment.

Head tube reaming and facing tool
Yes - to fit headset bearing cups

Cog wear indicator
No - unless it's the chain measure?

Bottom-Bracket tap and facer
Yes - That's 2 tools - for threading and facing the BB shell.

Dropout alignment tool
Yes - to adjust the rear drop-outs for parallel.

Freehub Buddy <---- this one kind of didn't make any sense but ??
NO - unless it's a chain whip for holding the cassette while undoing it.

Mavic Hub pin spanner?
Yes - special spanner for adjusting Mavic wheel bearings.

splined pedal spindle removal tool (say that 5 times fast lol)
Yes - Plastic Shimano tool.

Also wanted to add a small tin (like what Sucrets come in) with a magnet on the bottom of it makes a great ball bearing holder. Magnet is optional.
Yes. The magnet stops small parts from falling out of dish.

How did I do?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I got the Mavic Hub pin spanner wrong... and I'm also clueless about the Freehub buddy and the Cog wear indicator.

Wild guesses:
- Cog wear indicator is something like Rohloff Caliber, it actually measures chain "stretch"
- Freehub buddy could be something like the thing that keeps the freehub pawls down when reassembling the freehub body, there used to be a tool for that (OK, it was for freewheels...)
Cog wear indicator is a Rohloff tool. But it measures wear on cassette cogs -never tried one, but looks like a good idea.

Freehub buddy is a tool to force lubricants inside a freehub. - These work well. There are similar tools for freewheels.
Thanks Dave!

Cog wear indicator: Hm, looking at my Ultegra cassette I see many differently funny shaped teeth. I wonder whether this thing only works for internal gear hubs / single speed...

Freehub buddy: Sounds like a good idea.

And so the answer "who is pro" is again settled Wink
Freehub Buddy.
I have one but it very rarely gets used. I didn't know it had a name.
Somehow I seem to know when my cogs are worn. - Ha!

P.S. I'm not a "Pro", just an enthusiastic amateur.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
To be honest here I have yet to use any of these tools, to add I am NOT A PRO by far lol. They are out of my book that I am currently reading. Just wanted to see exactly if anyone has used these and if they would be practical to own/have in future mechanics. Just needed to see a simple definition.

When I looked at Cambria Bikes description of the Cog Wear indicator, it said it is used for the Shimano HG or IG cassettes.

I saw the freehub buddy by <a href='http://www.morningstartools.com/freehub_buddy1.html' target='_blank'>MorningStar Tools</a> and wandered if they make one for a freewheel? I know Alex pretty much said in his video it is better to replace it but it is only one of hmmm's ??? lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Most of the tools listed are for mechanics who are preparing a fresh frame for first parts installation; usually, not always, this is ready to roll with a frame you buy new.

More important for someone who's getting into maintenance/repair:

4th hand brake tool
4-5-6 Y-wrench
splined BB tool
cassette tool
freewheel tool
cable cutters
metric hex wrenches, sockets, and combination wrenches
flat/philips screwdrivers
8" cresent wrench
channel locks
deadblow hammer or mallet
chain tool
pedal wrench
http://www.hiyokahspeax.blogspot.com
Specialized is bullying epicericdesigns -- boycott!
I would only get what tools I needed for the job. You can always add the tools you need later thats what I do here I get the tools I need for one job then I will always have it if I need it again. I don't worry about what money I have in my tools you never know what you will need on another bicycle. The most must have tools are the 4th hand brake tool, cassette tool, freewheel tool, cable cutters and a good chain tool and a good set of allen wrench. These are the must have tools I think. And if you are good at it you need a good wheel turning jig. I got a cheap one and its ok but I would like to get a better one if I can learn how to use them better. I don't understand all of the wheel turning stuff guess I need to get a book and start to learn some how this is the one thing that drives me crazy not knowing how to true them up good. I have watch how to do it so many times until its not funny lol. I need a one on one to show me how then I think I could do it. But that may never happen.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: mtb10

12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Last Post: cny-man

12-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF