Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Peugeot Nouveau Folder
Hey all, got recommended here from Reddit, was told you'd appreciate the bike and if I ever run into repair issues the forums would be the place to go. I believe it's either a 1977 or 1978 Peugeot Nouveau Folder. Rear wheel has a 77 stamped into it but the front had a 78. Not sure where else to look for identifying info.

I've cleaned it up and ran new cables/housings, fixed the lighting system (cable break soldering, issues in the light housings, contact polishing, rebuilt the dynamo), fixed an issue with the shifter, and mostly have the brakes all fixed. Still need to clean up a lot of the corrosion othe bars and other metal surfaces.

Did a nine mile ride on it the other night though! Never used a friction shifter before so I spent the first few miles getting used to that. It's on the stem so it's a little awkward to operate.

As for right now though, enjoy some pictures!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello & welcome.
This is a cool folding Peugeot, good job on refreshing it up! And that frame paint ... you don't see many of these around. Check out http://www.peugeotshow.com/ where they have Nouveau covered in 1972-75 seasons.

Can you please take a closeup shot of those friction shifters for me?
Autobahn
(07-16-2020, 06:20 PM)G_M Wrote:  Hello & welcome.
This is a cool folding Peugeot, good job on refreshing it up! And that frame paint ... you don't see many of these around. Check out http://www.peugeotshow.com/ where they have Nouveau covered in 1972-75 seasons.

Yeah, the paint definitely has some nicks and scuffs on it here and there from over the years but I'm absolutely in love with the color. Thanks for the link too!

Here's some pictures of the friction shifter, both the lever and the actual shifter. The actual shifter still has some grime on it I've realized. Works great though. There's also some pictures of the markings on the bike too I added.

From what I've gathered the only thing not original on it (aside from obvious consumables) are the bell and that it's missing the front rack's luggage bungee. I guess the stock tire pump might be missing something (no hose)/it doesn't seem to have a good deal anyway.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-16-2020, 10:33 AM)HomeTinkerer Wrote:  I believe it's either a 1977 or 1978 Peugeot Nouveau Folder. Rear wheel has a 77 stamped into it but the front had a 78...

Welcome,
Nice looking folder, paint is indeed eye-catching.
Your frame set may not be the same year as the wheel dates (if that is indeed what they are). Not uncommon to have parts dates which pre-date the frame year of manufacture, sometimes by 2 years (or more). Many parts manufactured as repair stock (thus, 2 different wheel years?) got used for assembly of newer frames if parts were the same or similar to those specified in catalogues and advertising.
I agree with needing detailed shots of derailleur, shifters, brakes and decals/headbadgr, etc.
Given the presumed year there may be a serial number on it. You also might find it in a catalogue. Folders have a good following; old and new!

My 60's, early 70's Bianchi/Nealeco
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(07-17-2020, 05:05 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(07-16-2020, 10:33 AM)HomeTinkerer Wrote:  I believe it's either a 1977 or 1978 Peugeot Nouveau Folder. Rear wheel has a 77 stamped into it but the front had a 78...

Welcome,
Nice looking folder, paint is indeed eye-catching.
Your frame set may not be the same year as the wheel dates (if that is indeed what they are). Not uncommon to have parts dates which pre-date the frame year of manufacture, sometimes by 2 years (or more). Many parts manufactured as repair stock (thus, 2 different wheel years?) got used for assembly of newer frames if parts were the same or similar to those specified in catalogues and advertising.
I agree with needing detailed shots of derailleur, shifters, brakes and decals/headbadgr, etc.
Given the presumed year there may be a serial number on it. You also might find it in a catalogue. Folders have a good following; old and new!

My 60's, early 70's Bianchi/Nealeco

Now that it's daylight out again I went over the bike/ took new pictures for some identifying information.

Front brake lever. Stamped with "Weinmann".

Rear brake lever. Also stamped with "Weinmann".

Front brake assembly. Peugeot "logo".

Rear brake assembly. No discernible markings.

Rear wheel markings. Hub is stamped "Normandy" in large letters and "P 51 77" spaced out below it in smaller letters. Rim is marked with "550A Made in France","Rigida", and "Chrolux Chroma Superieur".

Front wheel markings. Hub is also stamped "Normandy" in large letters. "P 02 78" is spaced out below it in smaller letters, different from the rear wheel. Rim is also marked with "550A Made in France","Rigida", and "Chrolux Chroma Superieur".

Taillight housing. "Soubitez" brand. Additional markings are "SAE A 69" (left side), "M" in a circle (very top), "Top B 736"(middle top), "1A TPE 170" (right side), "TOP" (upside down near the bottom), and "I E2 44 SEIMA 2053" (bottom).

Front light housing. "Soubitez" brand again. "SP L23".

Hit the attachment limit. Will make another comment with derailleur pictures.

I also cleaned up the derailleur a bit.

Top of derailleur.

Bottom of derailleur. Seems to be stamped with a "7 8".

Inside side of derailleur. Raised lettering of "Prestige Simplex", "Brevete", "SCDC", and "Made in France".

All decals and head badge were attached in the previous reply last night. Only other discernible markings I guess are two instances of "Peugeot" stamped on the height adjustment assemblies on the seat and steering stems. Also the Peugeot logo (lion only) on the top of the headlight. Thanks again for all your help!
that frame is a beauty!

So I tried to find the Simplex derailleur, but no luck; found similar ones though. I was curious if the "78" was indeed a date code; given the hub dates I would be inclined to think that it is; but there was no mention of other Simplex derailleurs having a date stamped into them. Knowing that the hubs are Normandy makes the dating easier since they go by week and year so "51 77" is the 51st week in 1977, December. Probably with that older '77 hub date it would indicate a 1978/79 model year bike. I didn't see a catalogue either year showing your model or variant, but they made them into 1985 at least.
Take care,
Jesper

Smile 
(07-16-2020, 10:33 AM)HomeTinkerer Wrote:  Hey all, got recommended here from Reddit, was told you'd appreciate the bike and if I ever run into repair issues the forums would be the place to go. I believe it's either a 1977 or 1978 Peugeot Nouveau Folder. Rear wheel has a 77 stamped into it but the front had a 78. Not sure where else to look for identifying info.

I've cleaned it up and ran new cables/housings, fixed the lighting system (cable break soldering, issues in the light housings, contact polishing, rebuilt the dynamo), fixed an issue with the shifter, and mostly have the brakes all fixed. Still need to clean up a lot of the corrosion othe bars and other metal surfaces.

Did a nine mile ride on it the other night though! Never used a friction shifter before so I spent the first few miles getting used to that. It's on the stem so it's a little awkward to operate.

As for right now though, enjoy some pictures!

Greetings Home Tinkerer,

First: gorgeous bike! I LOVE the color, am very jealous! Smile Also, you did an amazing job bringing it back to life. Is that the original tail light? If so you are doubly lucky: 95% of these small wheel Peugeots I see have broken or missing tail lights -- their Achilles heel, if you will.

Your bike is a Nouveau Style, hence the stylized "NS" on the seat tube. A number of variations were made between 1972 and 1984. Yours looks to be a 4-speed: if so it is a model PNSA 40. The P in the model designation is for "pliant", French for folding. The NS is the series (there were different series of small wheel bicycles made by Peugeot), and there were several final letters as the models evolved. Base models were always "22" and were usually single speed, although a few models had two-speed base models. The deluxe version was always designated as "40" and had multiple speeds. PNSAs were last made in 1977, so you got the end of this series. From 1978 on NS bikes had a different logo on the seat tube: just simple white block letters "NS".

I picked up one a year or so ago. Mine is a PNSL 40 from 1972, at the beginning of the NS line. It's not nearly in as good a shape as yours: the tail light is missing its lens (and since, the bulb has been broken) and the dynamo is likewise gone. The rear brake sometimes works...kind of. The bungees have lost their tensile strength. And it has a Shimano derailler instead of Simplex, which I suspect is a replacement. It's a 5-speed and can really move fast. I've also seen a blog online of a French guy who took his on a 850 km bike tour into Germany and back. Yes, it takes full-size panniers -- on both the front and rear! -- so I am plotting a shorter excursion. Note you can take a folding bike onto Amtrak and many commuter trains, so you can do a multimodal vacation tour.

Enjoy your bike. And if you ever want to sell yours...!!! Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

I have a Sturmer Archer 3-speed.
I bought the bike 2 years ago, used ( was made in the 60's.)
There is a noise ( clank) when I pedal, when the left pedal is in the upper position. When I checked the bike on the stand there is no noise. Any idea ?
(06-14-2022, 04:35 PM)Danezul Wrote:  

I have a Sturmey Archer 3-speed.
I bought the bike 2 years ago, used ( was made in the 60's.)
There is a noise ( clank) when I pedal, when the left pedal is in the upper position. When I checked the bike on the stand there is no noise. Any idea ?

Welcome to the site Danezul!

Is your bike the same type of Peugeot folder as the previous models shown? I am assuming it is not since that folder model first was made in the early 70s.

The Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hubs ("AW" model most common) are pretty "bomb proof". Your noise may becoming from the bottom bracket assembly (BB) due to a bad bearing (ball(s), race and/or cup) assy. You should disassemble the BB to determine its condition. If it is a French threaded (35mm x 1mm) BB than you may be looking at some difficulty obtaining a new or used one in your spindle length. Also, they are not cheap it you find a good one. I would expect $25 minimal for a decent used BB, and $50-$100 for a new BB. If you are lucky and you have English threads (1.37"-1.375" x 24 t.p.i.) on the BB you may have an easier time locating one, but if it is a 60s Peugeot I would expect French threads to be the norm.

If it is a rear hub issue than you may have to get the hub adjusted/serviced by a professional. If it is out of adjustment it can usually be re-adjusted without much issue. If it hasn't been oiled regularly for its age/service use then it may have some internal wear that occurred and either need overhaul (not cheap!), or replacement (not cheap either!); probably in the $50-$100 plus for repair/replacement.

I would be more inclined to think that you have a BB issue considering your symptoms. When the bike is on the stand and you are pedalling without any load on the BB bearings it will make it appear to be okay until you actually put a real load on it during normal use. If when the bike is on the stand and you hand crank the pedal (with the chain removed) you may notice a rough area when your left pedal is in the upper position and the right pedal is at the lowest position with the pedal/crank arm forced inward toward the bike frame, and the left crank forced outward from the frame. If it feels "rough" while manually cranking the BB (with chain removed) then I would assume that the rear hub is okay and the BB is probably worn out (not uncommon for a bike of its age).

As a side note; the Sturmey -Archer hub is usually stamped with a month/year date code on the barrel below the "Sturmey-Archer" logo stamp. The hub date will generally provide you with the year of manufacture of the frame or often times the frame is one year newer than the hub date (e.g. hub stamped "12 66" may be on a bike that is actually a 1967 year model)
Take care,
Jesper

(08-26-2021, 08:41 PM)Beau Velo Wrote:  Greetings Home Tinkerer,

First: gorgeous bike! I LOVE the color, am very jealous! Smile Also, you did an amazing job bringing it back to life. Is that the original tail light? If so you are doubly lucky: 95% of these small wheel Peugeots I see have broken or missing tail lights -- their Achilles heel, if you will.

Your bike is a Nouveau Style, hence the stylized "NS" on the seat tube. A number of variations were made between 1972 and 1984. Yours looks to be a 4-speed: if so it is a model PNSA 40. The P in the model designation is for "pliant", French for folding. The NS is the series (there were different series of small wheel bicycles made by Peugeot), and there were several final letters as the models evolved. Base models were always "22" and were usually single speed, although a few models had two-speed base models. The deluxe version was always designated as "40" and had multiple speeds. PNSAs were last made in 1977, so you got the end of this series. From 1978 on NS bikes had a different logo on the seat tube: just simple white block letters "NS".

I picked up one a year or so ago. Mine is a PNSL 40 from 1972, at the beginning of the NS line. It's not nearly in as good a shape as yours: the tail light is missing its lens (and since, the bulb has been broken) and the dynamo is likewise gone. The rear brake sometimes works...kind of. The bungees have lost their tensile strength. And it has a Shimano derailler instead of Simplex, which I suspect is a replacement. It's a 5-speed and can really move fast. I've also seen a blog online of a French guy who took his on a 850 km bike tour into Germany and back. Yes, it takes full-size panniers -- on both the front and rear! -- so I am plotting a shorter excursion. Note you can take a folding bike onto Amtrak and many commuter trains, so you can do a multimodal vacation tour.

Enjoy your bike. And if you ever want to sell yours...!!! Big Grin

This is so cool to see, and a lot of interesting info! I just picked one up a few months ago and I've been tinkering around with it and using it as my primary vehicle since!
Pardon the handle bar situation, it's a bit of an experiment. I still have the original levers, but the grips were shredded and ugly
[Image: syI7G2O.jpg]
The dynamo does work, and the front bulb even still works, but I have it zip-tied up because it would make an obnoxious whirring noise even when it wasn't clamped down. The right crank was bent, though, and I had no success removing the cotter non-destructively, sadly. Ended up just replacing it with a square axel, but still using the original bearings/cups. I've probably put about 200 miles on it, so far
[Image: oItgmbp.png]
I'm not sure the significance, since it doesn't match up with the model numbers you mentioned, but there's a little plate on the underside of the BB with some numbers on it

It's even got the shop's badge on the seat tube, still. Haack Cycle, from Madison Wisconsin (no longer exists, unfortunately)

Also it's funny that you mention Amtrak -- the whole reason I got it in the first place was because I was searching for folding bikes in my area to save money on train fare, and this popped up on craigslist

(07-17-2020, 10:41 AM)HomeTinkerer Wrote:  Taillight housing. "Soubitez" brand. Additional markings are "SAE A 69" (left side), "M" in a circle (very top), "Top B 736"(middle top), "1A TPE 170" (right side), "TOP" (upside down near the bottom), and "I E2 44 SEIMA 2053" (bottom).

Bit of a long shot, but would you be able to get the rough measurements of the lens' dimensions? It does look like it mounts a little differently than our blue ones, since the screw is in the front, and not the top, but I'd really like to try and model / 3D print a replacement 'lens', so that I can restore the bike's profile a bit. It would be opaque, of course, but I'd just slap some reflective tape on it.

[Image: HiR2rNt.png]
Thanks for posting your folder @bob_2

I think the plate is the serial number and may have no significance related to its model number. You may be able to date the bike with it though.
Regarding the reflector; I would go to ebay or a French "craigslist" type site (I use Subito in Italy) to find a reflector. If you seatch by the info on the reflector, or by folder bike reflector, French reflectors, etc. you should be able to find a match. Hopefully, the poster of the bike or someone with the same bike will get back to you with the dimensions. My folder is Itaiian and so no French parts on it.
Have fun riding it, my folder is just too crazy for me to ride very much after riding large frame racing bikes; but it still turns a head or 2. The French, and Brits made some very nice folders during the 60s and 70s; and they rode well with their bigger wheels than the Italian bikes in my opinion.
Take care,
Jesper