Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

QUINTANA ROO "KILO" 1999
Quintana Roo "Kilo" USA made! Photos in next post.

I figured with this bike being over 20yrs old it might qualify as vintage. It also has indexing to friction shifting options so it somewhat overlaps the old and the new.

A very lightweight ("KILO" model refers to frame being one Kilogram/2.2 lbs) alloy bike with aero tubing frame, "wishbone" seat and chain stays, and aero carbon fork. Set-up as a "Tri" bike with Profile Design "Carbon Stryke" Ironman carbon aero bars with Shimano bar end shifters, Cane Creek headset, Shimano 105 drivetrain, HyperGlide 9 speed cassette, Shimano 105 "Hollowtech" "Octalink" crankset (53T/39T, 170mm), SRAM chain, and Tiagra brakes with Dia Compe bar end levers. Classic LOOK A5.1 racing pedals driving 650c/26" wheels, Velocity "DeepV" rims with Hutchinson "Carbon Comp" tires. Lightweight titanium rail leather bound Q-Roo badged Velo saddle. X-small to small frame size 46cm (center to top) seat tube and 48cm (center to center) top tube, approximately 71.5cm/28" stand over height. Putting it up for sale, less pedals (will come with xtra lightweight Wellgo caged pedals, much lighter than the LOOK set), and Ti saddle included at a premium, new Bontrager included as standard. Professionally race maintained, super clean! Very minimal wear and tear (couple of minor paint chips and minor component scratches) from transportation, etc.; no crashes. Probably one of the last Q-Roo frames made in the USA (company is under its 3rd or 4th ownership, all frames made in Asia now and only assembled in the USA). Great ride, I'd love one my size; but way too small for me when I test rode it. I had it checked out by a friend who is 5'1" without issues to see how it fit a smaller rider. Probably best for women, men, and junior riders 4'8"-5'0". Maybe up to 5'2" depending on upper body reach. Only used for racing by the woman's daughter l bought it from; she outgrew it and needed a larger frame. I will post in the "market" forum.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
QUINTANA ROO "KILO" 1999

Take care,
Jesper

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

Last but not least:

Take care,
Jesper

well maintained and fresh-looking. kudos for the post, Jesper!
(07-15-2020, 05:21 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  well maintained and fresh-looking. kudos for the post, Jesper!

Thanks Dom!

It would be killer in my size, but it needs to go. I cannot ride it under the best of circumstances; even "stretched out" on the aero bars didn't help any, saddle as high as it could go. I can't find anything out about the frame maker Omnium, I guess out of Cal. There is a decal on the frame with their name and a "serial #"? Quintana Roo started out as an American built bike, but that changed sometime around the year(s) after this frame was built. I was told it was a 1999, but it may be '00-'01. I think the Shimano 105 group is original so I can check some date codes; not sure about the Tiagra calipers. There was a model called the "KILO 105" (year(s) unknown) as the entry/mid-level component group on the "KILO" frame design.
Take care,
Jesper

I just sold this bike after a year of waiting. Went for $375 (w/o pedals) so the waiting was worth it; made about $100 after all was said and done.
Take care,
Jesper

(08-05-2021, 01:08 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I just sold this bike after a year of waiting. Went for $375 (w/o pedals) so the waiting was worth it; made about $100 after all was said and done.

well done! was it sold to someone local?
(08-05-2021, 02:27 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(08-05-2021, 01:08 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I just sold this bike after a year of waiting. Went for $375 (w/o pedals) so the waiting was worth it; made about $100 after all was said and done.

well done! was it sold to someone local?

I did the Craigslist thing in the end and it didn't take too long after that so kept it local. I did not want to dismantle a bike after putting it together. Shipping is a pain in the butt, and you eliminate the liability relating to damage claims; take it directly from my hand to yours, done deal! I hate getting a bike shipped to me for many reasons above and beyond the cost.

Lesson learned in progress: Most recently I bought an online bike that would make a great rebuild with better components. After agreeing with the seller about their shipping cost and paying for everything; the seller came back and said it would take a larger box and thus a higher shipping cost (the bike was in Berlin Germany, @Zviedrs help!). The bike cost $350 (1970s Chesini Gran Premio), shipping WAS $95 (about normal, usually about $90-$125 standard freight). The new shipping cost IS $300! I guess the bike grew in size and weight; I offered another $80 for the shipping since the bike value easily exceeds $600 considering condition and parts fitted. The seller reneged and cancelled my order first saying that my address was not correct (a lie which they later admitted to; and then just said that they could not ship it "safely" (BS!!)). They realized that I got the bike at a very good price and now wanted to make a greater profit on it. It has now become a legal issue related to a fraudulent sale and breach of a sales contract. Kind of like a "bait and switch" scam, but the fool already admitted in writing that they lied so I am pressing the issue to still receive the bike even though they offered a refund, and turned down my offer to pay more shipping on my own which they should have taken and just dealt with a little less profit. For all I know they got the bike for free so I don't feel at all sorry when they initiated everything, but then changed in mid stream. The bike is not worth over $750 except on the best of days as it sits so paying $650 total is out of the question, especially since I may have to pay a customs fee of about 10% of the claimed value (tip: if you can get the seller to put claim at a lower value then you will pay less customs or possibly none at all; its a gray area, but worth it!).

Thus, a good reason to avoid getting a bike shipped to you and/or having to ship a bike yourself.
Take care,
Jesper