Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Fiori Roma a good starter bike?
There’s a Fiori Roma bike being sold right now in my city. It’s a used one going for $280.00 and I was thinking of buying it. Everything is in good condition except that the gear cable is slightly tight.

I’ve fallen in love with biking, but I’ve been using my moms casual rider. I want something nicer but I can’t afford to spent over 300.00 or more on a bike like that.

I was wondering what you guys think? I was suggested to ask questions on this website

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-28-2020, 06:54 PM)BoobBiker Wrote:  There’s a Fiori Roma bike being sold right now in my city. It’s a used one going for $280.00 and I was thinking of buying it. Everything is in good condition except that the gear cable is slightly tight.

I’ve fallen in love with biking, but I’ve been using my moms casual rider. I want something nicer but I can’t afford to spent over 300.00 or more on a bike like that.

I was wondering what you guys think? I was suggested to ask questions on this website

Hi "Boob",

My normal retort would be to provide more photos, drive side and component details. Since you are scoping out a purchase l would suggest you ask the same of the seller if those images have not been provided already. Have you physically viewed the bike? The "tight" cable is not a major issue (a guess!). The "Roma" was one of Norco's (distributor, not manufacturer) better bike models; it's a Japanese made frame (hence decent overall quality, one would hope). The "Fiori" moniker was merely to take advantage of an "Italian-like" name, not uncommon at the time, nor even now. I think they came out in the mid 80s for more than a half dozen years.
Most important factor: is the bike in your size range, regarding height and top tube reach? It won't matter if you purchase "the best bike in the world" if it does not meet your size given your riding style and overall needs. Try test riding if possible. Yes, this frame is probably a better ride than your Mom's bike; it should meet your needs regarding utilization.
Without knowing all the details, functional condition, etc.; l think it would be a good entry or better level quality frame with like components. Saying that, l think the price is a bit high, granted it's an asking price. With more info, I'd give you a better objective value, but here's a "blind" estimate from what l would do: offer $175-$185, pay at most $200, but only if the tires are in very good condition! Tires are not cheap (if you want quality/durability), they can add $50- $100 or more; thus, my estimate value. I, given my experience in riding, buying, etc., would not pay more than $150 merely based on the photo. I think it is about $100 over priced if tires are indeed viable; if not drop another $50 from the offer and openly tell the seller why. Many folks who have older bikes have never spent the money for new tires; heck, I've spent $120/ pair 25 years ago and they weren't top of the line. Keep a realistic perspective if you are really interested in the bike.
Keep us updated.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
hi. I second what Jesper has already written, including the sizing question - you have to have a good fit to feel great on your bike! do you know the frame size and whether it fits your height or not? I would try to lower the price closer to $200 if possible.

Possibly Related Threads...