Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

SPD pedals for training and commuting
Ciao.
I have been road biking with platform pedals and straps, but I want to become more "professional" and get my first real road bike shoes. My dilemma here is the following - to get Shimano PD-M520 or the ones with both SPD & plaform? I will use my new Shimano shoes only for training rides and then wear my regular shoes when commuting to uni & work. Those pedals are tiny and I am worried that my regular shoes will slip all the time. Has anyone here done that (regular shoes, M520 pedals)? Thanks!
These platform pedal adapters work with M520: https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SPD-Platform-Reflector-SM-PD22/dp/B005FOP7S6
Autobahn
(06-10-2020, 06:56 AM)ManBearPig Wrote:  My dilemma here is the following - to get Shimano PD-M520 or the ones with both SPD & plaform

If G_M's recommendation is not what you want, here are other options (you may already know about): Shimano "Click'R" pedal models: PD-MT50, or PD-T421. Both use the SM-SH56 cleats which come with a new set. Both have a platform side for "unclipped" use. $70-$80 per set. I submitted this recommendation to another member; if you get or try them, please post feedback. Thanks!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-10-2020, 06:56 AM)ManBearPig Wrote:  Ciao.
I have been road biking with platform pedals and straps, but I want to become more "professional" and get my first real road bike shoes. My dilemma here is the following - to get Shimano PD-M520 or the ones with both SPD & plaform? I will use my new Shimano shoes only for training rides and then wear my regular shoes when commuting to uni & work. Those pedals are tiny and I am worried that my regular shoes will slip all the time. Has anyone here done that (regular shoes, M520 pedals)? Thanks!

once you start riding clipped in you'll actually want to be clipped in all the time, just get less serious shoes for commuting like Adidas velosambas for your bike commute, then proepr shimano, lake, fizik or any other brand your bike fitter tells you to get for the more serious training rides

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post