Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the August Giveaway for a brand new Street Bicycle Core Line fixed gear bike

14 speed shifter help
Hey everybody. I just got into cycling and my bike is a 14 speed with a shimano 14 speed rear derailleur and a shimano double road in front. My shifters are shimano index easy stem. I am wondering if you all have any advice on changing the shifters to the break lever shifters. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Justin.

I assume you mean that you have 7 speeds in the back and 2 in front making 14 total. If you want to change to brake/shift levers (brifters) there's a couple ways to go.
1. You can look for new or used 7 speed brifters. I think Shimano still makes the Sora level in 7 speed, but it looks like a lot of online sources are "sold out"
2. Convert to a "8 of 9" setup. You buy 9 speed brifters, chain, and cassette. You have to remove one cog from the cassette, but then it will fit on your 7 speed wheel without a problem.
3. Swap freehub, cassette, chain, and brifters to 9 speed. Requires frame tinkering.
The 2nd and 3rd option are discussed here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7
Just confirm that you have a cassette and not a freewheel before you buy anything. Freewheel 7 speed is unlikely but possible.

Possibly Related Threads...