Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

import taxes in the US?
can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay when ordering an ebike of about 600 USD from China , except the shipping cost?
can you show us the particular ebike and what platform are you looking at? is it for instance Aliexpress, Amazon, Ebay? there can be complications with logistics, friend of mine had a bitter example with ordering bicycle from China.
As I understand it, there is NO Import duty to the USA for an Electric Bike (and most other) orders Under $800. If you go above $800, the amount above is subject to a duty (usually 10% or less); Also IF the Trump Tariffs stay in place the amount above $800 might get taxed an additional 10 or 25%.
At $600, you should not see any added Duty (tax).

Also the US Customs Agent usually relies on the item Price that the seller/shipper declares on the package documentation. Some Sellers state lower prices than what you actually pay. So, duty could be zero, even with items costing more than $800. However Customs Agents are not stupid; For Example: If someone imports a box of 24 iPhone 11's, and price declared is $500 total... You can expect to have to pay duty at a retail price the Customs Officer looks up for the 24 phones. So overly low declared prices by the seller may be ignored at customs.
I'm new to this forum and came across your post about import taxes in the US. From what I've gathered, if you're ordering an e-bike from China for around $600, you shouldn't expect any additional duty or taxes. The threshold for import duty is usually $800, but keep in mind that if the Trump Tariffs are still in place, there might be some additional taxes above that amount.
It's important to note that US Customs Agents typically rely on the declared price on the package, but they're not easily fooled.
I've purchased nearly a dozen ebikes from Alibaba & AliExpress since 2017.
Many of them in $2k to $3k in cost.
I never had to pay extra taxes or duty for any of them.
All taxes & duty are paid by sellers' end prior to the item getting through US Customs.

Sometimes I even negotiate with the seller to include the shipping cost with the cost of the item (ebike), that way I can receive more rebate on my end with my payment method, when shipping cost is not part of rebate.

Each Chinese seller may have different way of communication.
Things may not be understood the first try, at times, I feel like I have to find different ways to ask the same question, if I can get consistent answer; that indicates that they've understood my needs & specifics.
Keep in mind that you don't have to deal with a single seller, there are many others that can provide the same product that you're after, you just need to communicate very specifically to make sure the seller understand your needs.
Google Translate helps when you copy & paste the Chinese translation below the English text.
I try not to leave room for miscommunication.